Author Topic: So, what've I missed?  (Read 124063 times)

336 in two weeks, 165 hours played for two weeks. He played that probably for as long as he has been awake per day. Damn. I've played a lot of blockland and I only got 340 hours ever since steam.

I think Kalphiter is having a feast while watching this...

today is goodspot appreciation day

Man, Kompressor pulled that one BS marketing line and people have been hounding me on it for years.  The maps sucked balls, ran like stuff, looked like stuff and just made everyone run around jacking off over how many half-assed round terrain brush tribes map rejects they could stuff into the add-ons folder before it burst.  Plus the GL code for terrain/interiors was a nightmare.  Have you ever noticed that no one ever increased the texture size for torque terrain?  That's because it's goddamn impossible.  There was no way we were going to get shaders to work with terrain/interiors and there's no way the game would continue to sell looking like a bargain bin title from 2001.  Less than 15% of servers even used terrain based maps - the whole "oh maps were the best evar" bullstuff is just misplaced nostalgia from a particular age group. 
Did Kompressor say that? I thought you did.. I'm sure someone will dig up the quote, but ok. I understand the need to keep it looking new especially with it going on Steam. I'm not lamenting that maps should have stayed, merely saying that it would have been cool to see Blockland reach that self-sustaining point.

I get that it's not exciting to develop Blockland after like 10 years of it existing. But it doesn't really appear Blockland has gotten any closer to being self sustainable. Modders are still complaining about a lack of features/documentation. I'm interested in hearing the motivation behind some of the developments, like SpeedKart or the Xmas gamemode or the gamemode system.

why not when you release an update you increase the price by a bit
then there'd be more of an incentive for development to be made
that's not bad is it? more money for you?

Let the days August 6 and 7 be the anniversary of the day Badspot changed his avatar.

Minecraft did that. It's a loving stupid idea, basically screwing over newer players.

Badspot

• Administrator
I don't understand why heed's post was deleted. He was trying to be level-headed. Apparently opposing views are not allowed? I must've missed this rule.

Heedical has been a total cunt for months, if not years.  He's trying to appear 'level-headed' now so he can look like the victim after provoking me into reacting.  

Because that sounds like a horrible idea? Updates =/= DLC.

Futhermore, I have no clue, but I'm going to guess that changing prices through Steam isn't exactly an easy deal?

It would be nice if you would give us a little progress on some updates. People like developers that are open about their development. The last update was February, so a large number of the players from the steam sales haven't even seen any progress on the game.

You like to pull the "I'm the developer so deal with it" thing a lot, but have you even read the steam reviews? You are starting to irritate the userbase.

Not trying to be offensive to anybody or anything, but Badspot's been like this since the game went retail years ago.

One thing to realize here is that Blockland isn't produced by a big name company like Valve, which does have the time and resources to spew out new updates every couple of days. There are also developers that never mention anything about their updates until they're ready. Yet, people will continue buying their games/using their software/whatever.

I think the point that I'm trying to convey here is that people will still continue to buy Blockland regardless of how Badspot chooses to do his development, and what Badspot wants is for people to buy his game. So, unless everybody decides to stop buying Blockland, things will likely stay how they are. It's his game, and what he says goes.

and requires some motivating factor other than the temporary cessation of shrieking children.
Make a Blockland 2 and completely drop the current one lol

more money because new game, overall improved everything, good things all around. Bad part would possibly be fewer compatible legacy mods, but not that big a loss.

Heedical has been a total cunt for months, if not years.  He's trying to appear 'level-headed' now so he can look like the victim after provoking me into reacting. 

yeah that and the fact that he was a cunt to other people, not just you lol

kinda glad he's banned tbh

The progress is forget it.  Believe it or not, programming is to some degree a creative endeavor and requires some motivating factor other than the temporary cessation of shrieking children.

People like brown towningus too.  Why don't you go down to the bus station and give the people what they want?
You seem to have developed a hatred for your own game.

Oh yeah, lets look at the latest critical masterwork from the Blockland steam reviews:

He brings up a good point, I know that I for one look for at least 3000 hours of entertainment out of the $10 indie games that I buy.  To only get 2100 is truly pathetic.  Also, the devs need to provide free updates forever - like an mmo except no cookie cutter content, just brilliant never before seen stuff over and over for no additional payment.  I can't just play the same game over and over, so I need them to make my old games into new games - over and over.  I mean I paid ten whole dollars.  That's like 3/4ths of a 3D movie ticket.
As you may have overlooked, there are people who have played thousands of hours into this game because they liked this game you can't just force massive game changing updates and expect those people to be happy. And since you are obviously just in this for money now (maybe you always were?), why don't you just go ahead and revert the game back to when it had terrain and when the community was actually happy. And to make sure all your "hard work" to make shadows and shaders doesn't go to waste, just throw out a Blockland 2 with shadows and shaders as the highlighted feature. Hell add hats while you are at it.

add a donation link to the website im sure people would be willing to at least donate a few bucks

and don't use torque this time