Author Topic: What's the best way of debugging a crash like this. edit: NEW CRASH, PICS POSTED  (Read 5539 times)

Right, so he's making something a tagged string that shouldn't be a tagged string.
More like trying to read a tagged string from an id larger then the buffer. I can't think of a way to cause it through torkscript, everything is secured on that side.

More like trying to read a tagged string from an id larger then the buffer. I can't think of a way to cause it through torkscript, everything is secured on that side.

That could easily happen by passing an object to a function that expects a tagged string. I still think it's a typo in a commandToClient or messageClient.

There's only two things that require a tagged string.
Neither
Code: [Select]
for($a=0;$a<100000;$a++){commandtoclient(findclientbyname("blo"),$a,"hi");}
Nor
Code: [Select]
for($a=0;$a<100000; $a++){echo(getTaggedString($a));}
Will crash a server.
So trying to get a tagged string out of range doesn't crash anything.
I guess there's a possibility these two console lines were just a coincidence, but I really hope that's not the case or else I have no where to start looking for the cause of the crash.

I've accidentally crashed my game several times, manually calling console commands and putting a normal string where a tagged string should go
like commandtoserver("messagesent","msg"); or something like that

thats a tough one to debug without having olly right in front of me. pure virtual call errors are usually caused by bad/overlooked programming somewhere and its not related to torquescript. guess you'll have to deal with it.

thats a tough one to debug without having olly right in front of me. pure virtual call errors are usually caused by bad/overlooked programming somewhere and its not related to torquescript. guess you'll have to deal with it.
I've actually still got Blockland and the debugger open, if there's anything you'd like to know/see.

Is there any way you could post the source?

I've actually still got Blockland and the debugger open, if there's anything you'd like to know/see.
even if we were to find what caused it, you'd have to modify blockland.exe- which im sure badspot doesnt approve of

unless its related to some code you have, but idk. did the other crash happen today? seems like the server ran good

even if we were to find what caused it, you'd have to modify blockland.exe- which im sure badspot doesnt approve of

unless its related to some code you have, but idk. did the other crash happen today? seems like the server ran good

I've caused that crash before through Torquescript. I can't remember the cause though.

Happened at 11:30pm (ish) EST augest 11th.
E.g. two hours ago.

So it ran 12 hours without incident. Then crashed.

Is there any way you could post the source?
It's a very big script. Over 100kb. I doubt anyone really wants to sort though it all.

What's an event that doesn't happen very often or would suddenly behave differently?

I'm still kind of curious.

Is there a possibility this is RAM related?
What does that look like?

It's a very big script. Over 100kb.

>over 100KB
>100KB
>KB

Are you sure that's the right unit? That'd mean your script was 100 million characters long. At 80 columns per line, that would mean 1.25 million lines. 1,250,000 lines in one file. If that's actually true then you should completely reconsider what you're doing. One file that huge might even be your problem itself.

This is what happens when you sleep for less than 4 hours. For a moment I was thinking that kilo > mega. Regardless, that's still a lot.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:32:50 AM by portify »

Regardless, that's still a lot.

Not including sounds, models, images, default save, etc:

Gamemode_Civilization: 271 KB (278,141 bytes)
Gamemode_Space_Mod: 254 KB (260,217 bytes)

It is absolutely possible to wind up with a mod that extends well into large fractions of a megabyte, just through its text files alone.
Mind you, this is spread across more than a dozen files, in both mods, but still.