Author Topic: Inspirational Guideline Thread (How to become a better builder)  (Read 3583 times)

won day ther was a blckockhead. he tryd 2 build on a servr. tha pros laffed wen they saw his hous/. it was al redl, they mad fun of him,. so he went and learndt 2 buld. he evenetly leartnd 2 bulld. then he tryt a<gain an he bultd asoMe mansone. tha pros wer like ogm, taht,, is a mansonem. now blckockhead is famos boulder.
hop this is isperational 4 u

or strive to create with bricks, rather than mimic reality?

This is just a step to get better, yes once you get to a certain level you will want to do that, but I think what's best for new builders is to look at how things are built to get better.

hey furdle, I posted an inspiration request a while back and was hoping to get some nice reference pictures, since you always find good ones. help is mucho appreciated if u ever get to it

Sorry man I saw it and forgot to reply, I'll do it tomorrow morning because I'm in bed now

do you think pablo picasso started drawing abstract art from the get-go? no, he had to learn realism, proportions, and all the other stuff before he went and made his own style.

-snip-
Making speedkart tracks are pretty abstract, I'd look more towards mariokart, especially that beach map (I've only played Mariokart like once or twice)
I could provide some relevant photos of real life stuff if you could manage to transit the ideas to an abstract style?

a fun tip if you cant figure out how to build something in blockland is to google a lego creation of it
so for example if you want to make a castle drawbridge you could search "lego drawbridge" or something like that

a fun tip if you cant figure out how to build something in blockland is to google a lego creation of it
so for example if you want to make a castle drawbridge you could search "lego drawbridge" or something like that
If you're talking lego sets, then thats a no-no.

However there may be something that can get you started which is designed and built by someone who is not lego.

That's not always a bad idea, but as Furdle pointed out you can come to issues with scale.

My biggest issue with using Lego as an inspiration to build something, or on how to do a particular part of a build, is that Lego isn't limited like Blockland is.
With lego you can stick pieces on sideways, and have sheer walls that are at any angle.
I ran into this issue when I was building a Chariot Circus. I used a Lego picture to get a good idea of design, because unfortunately it is a bitch trying to find good art of a classical Circus, without it being rough sketches and measurements of remains drawn in the 1920s.
Using that Lego image I found myself stuck as I copied it a bit too closely, and also found myself completely by myself when having to design a circular end wall, because I can't do the broken-circle style that the Lego set does.

The biggest irony of all that was that just the other day I picked up an amateur history book (with flip over then/now pages) that depicts a good artist's impression of a Circus in great detail and realism. But as far as I know that image isn't on the internet.

That's another good point if you're looking for inspiration. Google is great and the reserves of images on the internet are fantastic.
But it doesn't have everything. You will find countless images in books and on postcards and newspapers, or even images you see yourself while walking around town, which you will never find on the internet.
Definitely consider looking through books at a library, or going for a walk through town. Bring a camera with you and get some lasting shots with all the detail you need.
Or even look through some of your families old Holiday snaps. You never know what you might find.

i'm not sure if you guys understood my post. i'm not suggesting you try to copy an entire building to-scale, i'm suggesting you use it for small objects. scale is rarely a problem there.

i'm not sure if you guys understood my post. i'm not suggesting you try to copy an entire building to-scale, i'm suggesting you use it for small objects. scale is rarely a problem there.
You also suggested it for things like a drawbridge. And most Lego drawbridges are dynamic, and they have moving parts, and are designed to accomodate such a thing.
Blockland obviously doesn't have moving parts so the designs have to be different.

Yeah, there are places where Lego builds are very helpful to look at. I wouldn't say to avoid them completely.
But as a note for everyone they're not always perfect.
Give them a go, by all means, since you learn best by trying, but don't be surprised if inspiration from a Lego set is difficult to work upon in Blockland.

I am looking to make a modern style mansion, not too large, but intricate and classy. Maybe pictures of one, maybe even plans? Some interior decorating ideas would be nice too

Now I only need a guide on how not to quit blockland 3 minutes after I decide to build something