Author Topic: Oculus Rift: DK2 or consumer?  (Read 1684 times)

just wait for googles cardboard to get popular

i don't think you read my post. i said it was too inconvenient and you don't even know if it will progress. you arent promised it will ever be better than it is now. despite that i wouldn't use it more even if it was more immersive. the point is that you dont prefer it over watching a monitor. it's preferable to play without it. the effect wears off fast and i'm sure that effect will still be strong in place for years.

people seem to have this vision that it will be used more when it becomes more realistic. it's still annoying and inconvienient. maybe when it becomes wireless and thin it would be used lots more but at the moment having a bunch of wires attached to your face is unpleasant.

don't pretend you didn't understand what i was saying. i know a lot more about this than you.

just wait for googles cardboard to get popular
completely different. google glass isn't trying to be VR

completely different. google glass isn't trying to be VR
he means this

you put your phone in it.

i see absolutely no reason to buy a rift or anything else of its sort. VR is another overhyped technology fad.

i see absolutely no reason to buy a rift or anything else of its sort. VR is another overhyped technology fad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1iAhanajk

i don't think you read my post. i said it was too inconvenient and you don't even know if it will progress. you arent promised it will ever be better than it is now. despite that i wouldn't use it more even if it was more immersive. the point is that you dont prefer it over watching a monitor. it's preferable to play without it. the effect wears off fast and i'm sure that effect will still be strong in place for years.

people seem to have this vision that it will be used more when it becomes more realistic. it's still annoying and inconvienient. maybe when it becomes wireless and thin it would be used lots more but at the moment having a bunch of wires attached to your face is unpleasant.

YOU think it's too inconvenient. YOU wouldn't use it if was more immersive. YOU don't prefer it over a monitor. It's preferable for YOU to play without it. The effect wears off for YOU fast. YOU think it's annoying and inconvenient. YOU think it's unpleasant.

You sure seem to like presenting a lot of your opinions as fact.

Thinking VR is novelty is one thing, but complaining that the DK1 has "a lot of pixels and its extremely difficult to set up" when you knew full-loving-well it was an early release is absolutely ludicrous.

Opinions aside, you were still complaining about an unfinished product when you intentionally bought an unfinished product.

i know a lot more about this than you.

lol'd

Yet you've never used and are completely disregarding the existence of and improvements to DK2. You "know a lot more", so your opinion on VR as a whole Annoying Oranges everyone else's. Gotcha.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:54:38 AM by dkamm65 »

Yet you've never used and are completely disregarding the existence of and improvements to DK2. You "know a lot more", so your opinion on VR as a whole Annoying Oranges everyone else's. Gotcha.
wrong. i've used it with a friend and really the only difference was that the resolution was a little better, so there wasnt a grid. honestly all we are arguing with is opinions. what i have stated is a general opinion. go talk to some other people who own it and most of them will tell you the same thing as me.

"you havent used the new Iphone 5S so you aren't allowed to talk about your experience with your Iphone 4S"

unfinished products arent immune from criticism. i'm not judging the oculus rift as a finish product, i'm saying what my experience was with it now. you are acting all oblivious and taking everything out of context.

have you ever used an oculus rift? do you own one? i have spent hundreds of hours in the rift and i think i have more experience with it than you. if i am wrong about this disregard this statement.

half of you guys are insane VR fanboys who have never even used it. chill and realize that at this point in time its inconvenient. obviously i understood that when i bought it but that doesn't make it better.

also to anyone wondering VR research sucks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:19:34 AM by McZealot »

wrong. i've used it with a friend and really the only difference was that the resolution was a little better, so there wasnt a grid. honestly all we are arguing with is opinions. what i have stated is a general opinion. go talk to some other people who own it and most of them will tell you the same thing as me.

Funny, cause you're one of the few people I've heard say it wasn't good. Everyone else seems to love it.

"you havent used the new Iphone 5S so you aren't allowed to talk about your experience with your Iphone 4S"

Speaking of taking things out of context. OP was specifically asking about DK2. Read the title of the thread. Your experience with DK1 is not entirely indicative of DK2.

unfinished products arent immune from criticism. i'm not judging the oculus rift as a finish product, i'm saying what my experience was with it now. you are acting all oblivious and taking everything out of context.

No they're not immune to criticism, but you even admitted yourself you're complaining about things you knew you were getting. What's the point?

And please note with everything I'm saying, I'm talking specifically about your comments on the technical functionality of it. If you don't like VR, you don't like VR. Nothing is gonna change that.

Wait for the consumer kit. Once it's out, don't instantly buy it. Look through the reviews and make a final decision. There is nothing worse than getting excited for an unfinished/bad product.

Funny, cause you're one of the few people I've heard say it wasn't good. Everyone else seems to love it.
you were probably reading reviews of people a week or two after they got it. like i said, it's amazing at first. it just wears off in 2-3 months. maybe it doesn't wear off for some people but the ones i've talked so say it does.

Speaking of taking things out of context. OP was specifically asking about DK2. Read the title of the thread. Your experience with DK1 is not entirely indicative of DK2.
fair enough. though my point was that they are basically the same thing, just one with a higher resolution.

No they're not immune to criticism, but you even admitted yourself you're complaining about things you knew you were getting. What's the point?
well that's exactly the point. OP wants to know if he should wait or get it now. i'm saying certain things suck but are getting better, so to wait. i'm actually helping the OP, unlike you.

also i like VR. it's just that if i get a new game i'd prefer to play it via monitor instead. easier and more convenient. i'm assuming once the oculus becomes wireless this will change.