Author Topic: Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 2 and also 3 I think  (Read 311243 times)

THAT loving FOX IS USAIN BOLT

loving hell, yellow Freddy forget YOU

feel better about the game now?

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Honestly, I see where the appeal might be, but just the fact that it relies on jumpscares as a way to tell the player "GAME OVER YOU'RE DEAD" makes the entire thing fall apart for me.
Seriously, was it really necessary to even include jumpscares instead of animatronics like, slowly coming up to you and snapping your neck or something?
Jumpscares are not so much scary as they are irritating as all hell.
See, this is the problem with a lot of people looking at this game (I'm not directly targeting you, Crystal, I'm using it as an example.)
They think that 'subtle-psychological horror' is scary enough to stand on it's own.
Spoilers: It's not.
When you walk through the same dark, ominous hallways, and all you hear is creaking, and then a monster moan, and then NOTHING is there to actually scare you, you'll learn that stuff's just the game trying to 'mess with your head', really quickly, in-fact, and then you'll stroll through the halls with nothing to care about. Name one POPULAR, WELL RECEIVED horror game that had NOT A SINGLE JUMPSCARE in the entire game. forgetin' Amnesia had jumpscares. If it was all just 'subtle' the entire way through, you'd never be scared. Jumpscares keep the fear in you, let's say you were playing Five Nights and instead of Foxy sprinting inside screaming, he lumbers inside, sloooowwwwly peering around the corner, and then doesn't make a sound. Not scary, it isn't.
'Subtle-psychological horror' is the buildup, not the entire package.

watched one clip of gameplay and this is me

call me a silly pusillanimous individual all you want but horror games aren't my thing
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:40:49 PM by Zanaran2 »

-snippitysnap-
I think I should've been clearer on my views on the entire jumpscare concept.
I think what actually pisses me off about most of the jumpscares is the loud as hell audio and overall poor sound design. When something rapidly comes up to you and stabs you in the neck when looking in your eyes the entire time through, it's fine. I like that, it's horrible and scary. But when you put a 5-second yell loop over it or just a simple "BLEEAAAHHH", I just can't look at the entire scene seriously anymore.
And, for the Fox chasing down after you, I think what could've been done with that is if he was yelling the entire way through from the Pirate Cove to your security booth with both his yelling and hard footsteps getting increasingly louder.
Freddy the Bear's spooky power outage jumpscare also could've worked with better audio, as well as every other jumpscare death in the game.

not very scary really

i think i would be much scarier if you could walk around too

a lot of text

i'm not honestly sure about this, but i think this was made by 1 guy or something of the sort, and almost everything is just free sounds. for a game with really no budget in the beginning, you have to admit it's pretty frickin good

i think i would be much scarier if you could walk around too
It'd ruin the point.

i'm not honestly sure about this, but i think this was made by 1 guy or something of the sort, and almost everything is just free sounds. for a game with really no budget in the beginning, you have to admit it's pretty frickin good
True. I really want to like this game, but I'd rather see where he goes with the idea and if he makes any sequels to this.

how would that ruin the point?
The point of the game is that you're not running away and hiding from the animatronics. If you could walk around it might as well be an Amnesia custom story.

how would that ruin the point?
the game's mechanics would be completely different