Author Topic: 1100lb British WWII bomb blows a hole in the Autobahn  (Read 1977 times)

Assuming 1 ton = 2000 pounds (I am unsure of whether or not this is a short or a long ton, or neither)
.51 eh?
Well that's 1020lbs if my math is correct which Is about 463kg.

This is the Mk. 84
its a 2000lb bomb

This the BLU 82 "Daisy Cutter"
it is a 15,000lb bomb

then there even bigger conventional bombs like the MOAB and FOAB.

wow man why would construction workers try to disarm a bomb

It's insane how they expect bombs when building in some cities that were heavily bombed in Europe during WWII. I remember reading that's why construction costs in some of the more heavily hit German cities is expensive and slow. It's amazing there aren't more casualties from the bombs, especially since they're so unstable.

Cause it was armed?

:D

Construction workers are a lot more qualified for things than you think. Lots of credentials nobody pays attention to.

That and they are German construction workers so they'd probably be able to reverse engineer the most high tech bomb we have anyway

After all these years Europe is still dealing with all the dud bombs that people decided to burry.

At least it wasn't a Grand Slam:
-snip-

im no expert but im pretty sure the bombs not gonna be as powerful as it would've been 70 years ago

didn't read the article, but i'm assuming this wasn't anything nuclear... gun powder doesn't go bad, it's not an apple. it maintains the same potency as it did however long ago it was produced. the only possibility of change is if there's moisture present in it.. and seeing as how it was still armed it couldn't have leaked.

fahren fahren fahren auf der autobahn

all part of the master plan to establish the queen as the head of europe

didn't read the article, but i'm assuming this wasn't anything nuclear... gun powder doesn't go bad, it's not an apple.
To be more technical, its not gunpowder. It is minol which is a mix of powdered aluminum, potassium nitrate, and ammonium nitrate.

Why do people have a suspicion that a world war two era bomb by the british would be nuclear?

Why do people have a suspicion that a world war two era bomb by the british would be nuclear?
I think their concern is to not get everyone near the bomb killed or cause significant damage to a section of highway.

After looking up all the possibilities, I believe the bomb was a Tall Boy:

It was designed to penetrate through soil and concrete and then dentonate from within an underground structure. My guess is that the crew had to abandon and chose the Highway to drop it on, however on impact the bomb failed to detonate and got covered up by rain water run off an mud.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:46:26 AM by Harm94 »

At least it was not a "Blockbuster" bomb, which were known for being able to take out a whole city block in one bomb.