2 (9.1%)
Framed old terrain/interior model.
1 (4.5%)
Badspot Poster.
6 (27.3%)
Other (Specify in a reply).
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Fun with Static Shapes (BEDROOM, Asteroids, Earth...)  (Read 11813 times)

im surprised nobody was like 'OMG MAPS ARE BACK'
OMG MAPS ARE BACK

But seriously with these kinds of tools why hasn't anyone made the bedroom/kitchen/slopes yet?

static shapes are very badly optimized and generally tough to implement well within the game alongside bricks, players, vehicles, etc. without a lot of issues
op even mentions that projectiles go through them and you can't actually build on them

What's this about concave collision?
Why not just use convex?

static shapes are very badly optimized and generally tough to implement well within the game alongside bricks, players, vehicles, etc. without a lot of issues
op even mentions that projectiles go through them and you can't actually build on them

While they are unopimized, they lag if you use lots of them (like marble man's), each asteroid is its own static shape.

What's this about concave collision?
Why not just use convex?

It's how the collision is made. Notice how the asteroids sort of sink into and some stick out, causing concave faces on the collision. A simple work around is to make a few more collisons without concave faces to combat that.

I kept asking you on steam but now you're ignoring me for whatever reason.

The bedroom? I may make a different bedroom with textures and all that stuff, if you want. It may take some time.
Wasn't sure how to go about it so it would have proper collision, but i have a good idea now.

Just make each part of the bedroom as a seperate static shape (ie the bed has its own static shape, closet ect)
That way each part will have its own shape, and it would be textured and can allow for some complex shapes (instead of just cubes), and it can have its collision done properly.

Ill get to work on planets, moons, and the sun first tho.

Earth is pretty finished, just gotta add collision.

Make the top half have no collision and put in a floor like the old planet maps had

Now make like a v21map2staticshape or something.

Seriously though, nice work.

I'd like to know what u guys want to see as a static shape ingame, and i will try to make it possible (depending on difficulty)
The.

BEDROOM.

OMG MAPS ARE BACK

But seriously with these kinds of tools why hasn't anyone made the bedroom/kitchen/slopes yet?
they have. the problem is that static shapes are a bad thing to use on a large scale.

this is why we abandoned staticshapes for building purposes in the transition from v0002 to retail.

make a train station out of static shapes

The.

BEDROOM.
Shouldn't this be possible, if so YESSSS!

And if the bedroom works... Could you work on the slopes?  :cookieMonster:

If only we could have a rotating skybox feature, t'would give the illusion we are moving on the asteroid D:

If only we could have a rotating skybox feature, t'would give the illusion we are moving on the asteroid D:
Well you can, if you just mess around with the clouds, somebody figured it out I'm not sure who.