Poll

Did she deserve suspension?

Yes
13 (10.4%)
No
112 (89.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: Girl suspended for saying "Bless You" in a classroom  (Read 4209 times)

I seriously can't take any atheists seriously who actually give a stuff about removing all religious symbols from the English language and from US currency and architecture. It's literally just the atheism-equivalent of 'Tropes vs. Women in videogames'.

I am honestly tired of how american school's make a big ass deal about saying 2 words

Not reading past this, you don't know how the educational system works and I don't know why I expected you to.
idk about the us but up here in canada we have schools split up into regions and a board that is pretty much the head of all the schools

i'm sure if the US has this kind of system and they actually monitor what the schools do this stuff would happen less.

thats pretty much what i'm saying

I seriously can't take any atheists seriously who actually give a stuff about removing all religious symbols from the English language and from US currency and architecture. It's literally just the atheism-equivalent of 'Tropes vs. Women in videogames'.
I disagree. In God We Trust and Under God were added in a time when Christians felt threatened by the Soviet's secularism. I don't think in a time when the most developed countries in the world are shifting towards a more secular viewpoint, it is necessarily healthy to hold on to archaic ideologies that actually conflict with the U.S.'s ideals as a free nation.

I disagree. In God We Trust and Under God were added in a time when Christians felt threatened by the Soviet's secularism. I don't think in a time when the most developed countries in the world are shifting towards a more secular viewpoint, it is necessarily healthy to hold on to archaic ideologies that actually conflict with the U.S.'s ideals as a free nation.
I agree with what you're saying ideologically but I don't think the motto on the dollar is the biggest issue right now when something like 40-50% of Americans think the Earth was created in the last 10,000 years.

idk about the us but up here in canada we have schools split up into regions and a board that is pretty much the head of all the schools

i'm sure if the US has this kind of system and they actually monitor what the schools do this stuff would happen less.

thats pretty much what i'm saying
first, im pretty sure the education systems in the us and canada are similarly structured, with most stuff being managed by the states/provinces, and having a federal department/ministry of education overseeing the whole thing. therefore, I don't think education is as federally controlled or micromanaged in Canada as you think it is. second, incidents like this are just stupid media fluff that baits freedumb lovers into gluing their eyes to the screen/tube, and gives foreign nerds like you another excuse to post "lol amerikool kids kluba."

... then again, i am a product of the stupid american school/youth jail system that favors memorizing presidential boners over basic arithmetic :-)

you dont have to believe in religion to say bless you, bless you isnt even that religious anymore

Yeah it's actually completely illegal for them to do this, religious freedom is garunteed in the constitution for all citizens. I'm sure she could just complain to someone a little higher up the food chain and get the school in a world of trouble.

you dont have to believe in religion to say bless you, bless you isnt even that religious anymore

I find it ridiculous that this school doesn't have bigger problems to worry about.  Back in my day there was heroin everywhere, fights breaking out, and an inconsistent disciplinary system.  That school's either wasting its time over a benign action when it has bigger problems or it's making problems where there are none.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:00:17 AM by Plethora »

This took place in the USA, right?

If it did she cannot be suspended because it infringes on her right if liberty of speech (Amendment I, US Constitution). I believe she has a right to sue them because if that.

The moral of the story is: you can't trust the system.  

This is a load of bull pies.  This doesn't even have to do with religion.  Bless you is as separated from the church as the state is.

lol this is so pathetic

I tend to say gesundheit because of my german ancestry and imo it sounds cooler than bless you.

IIRC "Bless you" came from the Greeks. The Greek translation, of course. They thought sneezing caused your heart to momentarily stop and you would die if somebody didn't say it. You could say it to yourself if there was nobody around.

I'm sick right now so I could use some Gesundheit.

I tend to say gesundheit because of my german ancestry and imo it sounds cooler than bless you.

IIRC "Bless you" came from the Greeks. The Greek translation, of course. They thought sneezing caused your heart to momentarily stop and you would die if somebody didn't say it. You could say it to yourself if there was nobody around.

I'm sick right now so I could use some Gesundheit.

...what?

Quote from: wikipedia
during the plague of 590 AD, Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"), since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague. By 750 AD, it became customary to say "God bless you" as a response to one sneezing.