4 (5.9%)
Windows 7
38 (55.9%)
Windows vista
0 (0%)
Windows XP
5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Windows OS {MEGATHREAD} ~Tutorials~  (Read 3319 times)

can someone explain to be why people casually refer to the 3GB barrier as just 4GB? even the wiki page does so itself even when the range doesn't even touch 4GB. (32 bit 3/4GB limit thing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier

but i actually learned something. i wasnt aware of these things;
The exact barrier varies by motherboard and I/O device configuration, particularly the size of video RAM; it may be in the range of 2.75 GB to 3.5 GB
It is a common misconception that 32-bit processors and operating systems are limited to 4 GB (232 bytes) of RAM, as were the original 80386DX and other early IA-32 CPUs. Since the 1995 Pentium Pro, almost all modern x86 processors can in fact already address up to 64 GB (236 bytes) RAM via physical address extension (PAE).
Chipsets and motherboards allowing more than 4 GB of RAM with x86 processors do exist, but in the past, most of those intended for other than the high-end server market supported only 4 GB of RAM.

and most importantly
In Microsoft's "non-server", or "client", x86 editions of Microsoft Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, the 32-bit (x86) versions of these are able to operate x86 processors in PAE mode, and do so by default as long as the CPU present supports the NX bit. Nevertheless, these operating systems do not permit addressing of physical memory above the 4 GB address boundary. This is not an architectural limit; it is a limit imposed by Microsoft via license enforcement routines as a workaround for device driver compatibility issues that were discovered during testing.

that kind of answers itself. its a bandwagon. and people will always jump on it if its popular enough.
vista served me well before windows 7 came out

oh look a smart one

yeah, I prefer vista's interface over 7's so i stuck with it.

I'm totally down to clown with 8.1 though.

you should probably chane the logo in the OP to something more... modern..., like the windows 8 logo
-its not 2007 anymore