.obj Problem

Author Topic: .obj Problem  (Read 2134 times)

Can someone convert this file to a .blb file? I modeled a cup today (first time modeling anything) and
when I converted it myself it didn't work in-game. If this doesn't work out, I don't think I have
any other solutions...

http://download1595.mediafire.com/49lhwal6o9wg/hclt6yft1t0t80o/cup.obj

The first problem I notice is that for a cup that's pretty loving huge, I'll scale it down and see if it works for me though.

The circle on the base is an N-Gon, that's why it wont work. You need to change the shape to only be tri's or quad's.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:50:39 PM by Thorfin25 »

The first problem I notice is that for a cup that's pretty loving huge, I'll scale it down and see if it works for me though.

The circle on the base is an N-Gon, that's why it wont work. You need to change the shape to only be tri's or quad's.
Yeah, I wasn't able to see it in-game so I didn't know how big/small it would actually turn out.

What exactly is an N-Gon?.. Am I still able to make the cup the same way without using an N-Gon?

Are you using Blender? For me, it wouldn't let me open the file after I exported it to .obj ... (Maybe it's just my mistake)

Sorry for all the questions. It's basically the first time I've actually tried modeling something, so
I want all the details I could get before I start doing complex objects.

A N-Gon is a face that consists of more then 3 or 4 sides or edges.
Your model has to have three or four edges to make a face, no more, no less.

A N-Gon is a face that consists of more then 3 or 4 sides or edges.
Your model has to have three or four edges to make a face, no more, no less.
Does the same thing apply to a weapon? If I'm getting the right idea

Does the same thing apply to a weapon? If I'm getting the right idea
Pretty sure, yeah.

Its just the way the graphics card divides up the rendering. Generally you shouldnt even need more than two triangles for a face anyways unless there are multiple textures going across it (or its a complex shape, like the curved rim of a cup), but if you notice how most games when you see the wireview everything has lines even going across seemingly contiguous surfaces.
The graphics card uses the position of the verticies to determine the normal of the render vector and if it is pointed at the camera thus needing to be rendered. If the shape is more complicated than 4 sides it tends to complicate things, so alot of editors and pipelines generally require tris and quads.