Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14931 times)

You know, I'd actually release it to someone who was capable of doing something with it. There are maybe, 5 people on this forum that could improve and make better say, Land of Blocks for example. If I did release it to the public, it'd probably turn into the storm of stuffty City RPGs you've seen and I just don't want to see that happen.

There'll always be a good host or two. Speaking of that though, host the server porfavor?

Blockland is made
People join Blockland
People start creating content for Blockland
People with really good content have content that remains unreleased (whether told or untold on purpose)
Same people either keep it private completely, or flaunt it around.
- - - -
People ask for more content.
Same people from above mention say, 'well make it yourself' or AGREE with the people asking for more content.
- - - -
Topic made to ask content creators to release their things, or stop keeping them so private, as they are very, very innovative.
"um, its our choice, stop being mean!!11..." says the ones, showing us pictures, videos, making topics and dedicating WEBSITES to their stuff we will never use.

The reason my add-ons were not released is because they were incomplete. They were "private" because they were not finished. I only hosted servers to test the add-ons in a public setting. I apologize for not finishing any of them, but I will not release an incomplete add-on. That's a rule of Blockland as well. And I do not take most of the credit for my mods. I simply modeled, animated them, added sounds, and incorporated all of those things into a .cs file. The rest of the work was done by wonderfully talented programmers. To name a few: Army Unit, Lordician, Scriode, Port, ottosparks were all great people that worked with my impatient self to push out incomplete playertypes to have fun with on my servers. I do not plan to finish any of them, but a select few of the add-ons that have not caused crashing on a server were released to various topics on Modification discussion. Here's one i found.

Kha'zix playertype

if you are releasing an unfinished ka'zix into modification discussion why not release all of the unfinished things into modification discussion in a megathread?

or PM the mod(s) to someone who can finish them :P

The reason my add-ons were not released is because they were incomplete. They were "private" because they were not finished. I only hosted servers to test the add-ons in a public setting. I apologize for not finishing any of them, but I will not release an incomplete add-on. That's a rule of Blockland as well. And I do not take most of the credit for my mods. I simply modeled, animated them, added sounds, and incorporated all of those things into a .cs file. The rest of the work was done by wonderfully talented programmers. To name a few: Army Unit, Lordician, Scriode, Port, ottosparks were all great people that worked with my impatient self to push out incomplete playertypes to have fun with on my servers. I do not plan to finish any of them, but a select few of the add-ons that have not caused crashing on a server were released to various topics on Modification discussion. Here's one i found.

-nourlbecauseitisabovemypost-

So.... Hydra...(atleastithinkitisyou) Could you possibly do some Form of "help fix my addons dump" in Mod Dis? So the wonderful talents of the blocklanders (new and old) Can fix the mods and send the completed files to you so you can release them? Like "PM me if you wish to help with these amazing mods!" or something? That way they can be completed, and released. (This nuke fellow tried to make a terran pack and it is terribly modeled and not even finished aswell!) I am not forcing you to do anything. Just simply agree or disagree mate.  (Also. I WANTED THE BLOODY THOR!Nuke launching giant robots ftw!

if you are releasing an unfinished ka'zix into modification discussion why not release all of the unfinished things into modification discussion in a megathread?

DAMN IT! NINJA'D! AAAAND WITH THE BASIC IDEA OF THIS! CURSE YOU LEGO LAD! YOU ARE NEVER GETTING A METAL GEAR REX NOW! (One of my pals is making a metal gear rex addon, sadly it's only for specific servers... also because it's a loving metal gear. Invisible nuke launching railguns go!

Because they apparently can crash blockland, according to his post.

Blockland is made
People join Blockland
People start creating content for Blockland
People with really good content have content that remains unreleased (whether told or untold on purpose)
Same people either keep it private completely, or flaunt it around.
- - - -
People ask for more content.
Same people from above mention say, 'well make it yourself' or AGREE with the people asking for more content.
- - - -
Topic made to ask content creators to release their things, or stop keeping them so private, as they are very, very innovative.
"um, its our choice, stop being mean!!11..." says the ones, showing us pictures, videos, making topics and dedicating WEBSITES to their stuff we will never use.

Sounds like they dedicated a lot of their time and energy to it, and it's theirs to give away if they choose to.

DAMN IT! NINJA'D! AAAAND WITH THE BASIC IDEA OF THIS! CURSE YOU LEGO LAD! YOU ARE NEVER GETTING A METAL GEAR REX NOW! (One of my pals is making a metal gear rex addon, sadly it's only for specific servers... also because it's a loving metal gear. Invisible nuke launching railguns go!
yay more private dinosaurs

Because they apparently can crash blockland, according to his post.
but couldn't he still release them in modification discussion but leave a warning like "these crash ingame" so coders could just look through the code for problems?

or he could just pm the add-on to someone who would/could finish the add-on

You know, I'd actually release it to someone who was capable of doing something with it. There are maybe, 5 people on this forum that could improve and make better say, Land of Blocks for example. If I did release it to the public, it'd probably turn into the storm of stuffty City RPGs you've seen and I just don't want to see that happen.
The idea is that you at least pass the torch on to the community once you're tired of it and no longer want to continue development. If you pick and choose who you think is worthy of your genius, your genius doesn't matter in the long-term.

Really, the bottom line is that people want to play on servers they enjoy. I've been guilty of whining about this (fairly recently and throughout being here), but I think it's really true. What else could someone in this business of mod-making want? In the end, shouldn't it all come down to the fact that you've made something other people can enjoy and use? It's not my job, nor is it my will, to police the quality of servers using my mods, because at that point, they're no longer my special toys. I've made something with my own hands and I get to watch people enjoy using it. That's what it's all about.

Someone needs to release the classic lego dragon player type
Ravencroft told me it worked in his server :o

Just a note on the whole private add-on thing; the reason most private add-ons are private are because they depend on having a large player base on one server to be fun. For example, Centhra's Dueling. Fragmenting the user base of that add-on would mean that there would be fewer players to duel without switching around servers, and you'd have to build your ranking on every duplicate copy. The only difference between servers would be the builds that are accepted, and it's simply better to have all of the builds on one server then have to play a game of musical chairs with servers to play on a map you like. Furthermore, people would submit builds to the most popular servers and the less popular servers would have far fewer builds, making them virtually useless to play on. In the same way, people wouldn't want to lose their ranking so they wouldn't play on those.

We made an executive decision not to release the mod because of this. It degrades user experience for everyone by releasing it publicly. The only way we would consider releasing it is to a single person who would be guaranteed to keep it up 24/7 (e.g. Tezuni). We were in the process of converting the process of map submission to a player-vote system to make the system entirely automated (the only thing admins need to do as-is is accept / reject builds, which is a time consuming and bothersome job when you have 40 people a day repeatedly submitting the same stuffty build and asking what specifically they need to improve to get it accepted. hint: make it not stuffty.) but if we did that we'd just host it ourselves and there'd be no need to release it.

-reasoning snip-

While I do agree with you that some gamemodes are better with more players, that is still not a reason to not release a mod.

Specifically, keeping a mod just so players only visit your server is just bad practice, and if a mod is released, more than one server popping up with the mod isn't a bad thing. It not only gives people flexibility, but also allows players to still enjoy the fun even if the original server was/is down.

To add on to that, not only is this a good thing to release mods, but regardless of if there is several servers with the mod, more often that not a specific one will garner more attention than others so a lack of players is not an issue.

Specifically, keeping a mod just so players only visit your server is just bad practice

This doesn't even make sense, how is it bad practice? Lol!

I mean in the context of refusing to release a mod. Similar to the OP's views.

"i don't understand the concept of selfishness"