Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14950 times)

I feel like you've ignored every valid point made AGAINST your post. Private Add-ons are private because they're unfinished, buggy, or both.
That's because they aren't actually valid.

Private Add-ons are private because they're unfinished, buggy, or both.
OK, give it to someone else to fix, and then let people enjoy it instead of just keeping it unfinished. Or finish it, and release it, instead of taking a loving month or even a year.

OK, give it to someone else to fix, and then let people enjoy it instead of just keeping it unfinished. Or finish it, and release it, instead of taking a loving month or even a year.
If we would give everything we work on to others because it takes us (too) long to fix it, would we ever learn from our mistakes?
I think not.
And most of the time, the creator of mods wants the mod to be like they had in mind.
When you just throw it out in the wild there are 3 things that could happen:
-1- Nothing, the mod dies, nobody picks it up and you forget about it.
-2- The mod gets picked up and is made exactly like the creator had it in mind.
-3- The mod gets picked up and transformed in something sub-par or completely different then the creator had in mind.
Guess which point is very unlikely to happen? Point 2.
That is because everyone thinks differently about how something should be and the creator wouldn't be happy in most cases with the result.

The thing is, you also can't just throw every unfinished thing out there to let other people finish it.
I rarely hear about a painter taking too long to paint something and some other painter replaces him to finish it.
I do hear about it sometimes with games, but guess what happens.
I understand that it is frustrating when some cool mod takes long to finish and sometimes even gets shown, but never gets finished, but you have to accept the creator's stance a bit as well.
He has (started) creating it, it is his creation and he can't always just let go of his creation to let others finish it.
It is a good and bad thing.
The good thing is, it could be a great reason for the developer to work on it, but on the other hand he can also just not feel like working on it, nor giving it out just yet in the mindset that he will work on it later.
Later gets even more later and even more later until at some point it gets forgotten by most people, sometimes including the developer.

You can't just force every developer to always put out whatever they are working on in whatever state.
You gotta think of them a bit as well, it is their project after all.
It would be the same if we just demanded of all the modelers to put out all the models they have created so others can 'finish' them.
It just doesn't work like that.
I agree that there should be a bit more sharing of content, but we cannot just demand every developer to surrender their creations to the public immediately.
Give them some time and room to develop the project and their own skills while they are at it.

That is also why we can't have nice things, no patience.

If we would give everything we work on to others because it takes us (too) long to fix it, would we ever learn from our mistakes?
I think not.
what
how does that have anything to do with anything
what are you even talking about

what
how does that have anything to do with anything
what are you even talking about
Blergh, not mistakes, but learn from what we do.
Some mods are developed by people with less knowledge of things then others, yes, but if they just give out their work to others after some small time period, they never really will learn the ropes themselves.
I tried to say that, is that better?

I don't understand your point for private add-ons. Since I have a private RPG mod (built from scratch), a new CRP mod (never releasing for a long time until completely stable), Build to Survive, special player types, and more.

Private add-ons are there because we have our reasons of keeping them. We like to keep things to ourselves. Example: Would you like to have 10 servers of the same gamemode? I'm sure it would get boring after awhile. Some private add-ons deserve to stay, and some deserve to be public. My modes other than special player types shouldn't be released for a super long time (or forever?) because I am the one that functioned them, if anyone uses the mod they would eventually ask me how exactly it works. I only release add-ons if they either have a help command or they are just self-explanatory.

If I ever actually leave Blockland, I will release everything I have, finished or not finished.

Honestly, I only make private add-ons because they may get too much hate on them.

If I ever actually leave Blockland, I will release everything I have, finished or not finished.
This right here is what matters. If you for sure aren't ever going to develop for it again, then release it whether or not it's done.