Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.

Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14942 times)

Typical answer. What if the owner cant be contacted or doesn't play bl anymore? It will die.
Main problem is, i have done almost nothing on it.
Hence my problem with giving it out, it is not mine at all, as much as i would like to release it.

It's because releasing something would mean officially saying "this works perfectly in every situation and lives up to your every expectations while being extremely user-friendly." If none of those are true, I can't exactly just make a topic in Add-Ons for everything I make- it'd mean dedicating the rest of my life to answering the same complex questions about how to use it over and over. Even so, I've still released a lot of the things I've made and (more recently) literally everything I've made that I could find, no matter how complex. It is not in any way just automatically your property just because it's an add-on for the same game as you play. I don't approve of private add-ons, but it's simply not viable to release everything.
Post it in the mod discussion. People can look through the code, and understand or even use it. Believe or not, not everyone is handicapped, and there are other coders who know their stuff too. People who actually care could make them user friendly, they might even be helpful for someone new to coding, or even just as much as finding a piece of code they just couldn't for the life of them figure out. No matter how broken, if you could get it to work, there is bound to be others that can.

It's because releasing something would mean officially saying "this works perfectly in every situation and lives up to your every expectations while being extremely user-friendly." If none of those are true, I can't exactly just make a topic in Add-Ons for everything I make- it'd mean dedicating the rest of my life to answering the same complex questions about how to use it over and over. Even so, I've still released a lot of the things I've made and (more recently) literally everything I've made that I could find, no matter how complex. It is not in any way just automatically your property just because it's an add-on for the same game as you play. I don't approve of private add-ons, but it's simply not viable to release everything.
Post it in the mod discussion. People can look through the code, and understand or even use it. Believe or not, not everyone is handicapped, and there are other coders who know their stuff too. People who actually care could make them user friendly, they might even be helpful for someone new to coding, or even just as much as finding a piece of code they just couldn't for the life of them figure out. No matter how broken, if you could get it to work, there is bound to be others that can.

I don't know how I feel about all mods being public, it might be because I'm biased because I'm majoring in computer science. Though more content needs to make it out to the public. If you're done hosting a mod you've made you should definitely release it because what's the point. But this club of people creating content and hosting it for a little and locking it up forever is not helping this game at all. I have a few things I've worked on but never really went anywhere. Also with releasing mods I think releasing a version to the public with less features would be a happy middle ground for the content creators and the playerbase. Not dumbing it down to the point where it's awful but maybe keeping a little something to make your server memorable.

Oh it's not viable to release it, it's only viable to post all over the internet to flaunt around and then tell everyone to kiss your ass when they want a taste. Here's the solution bud: If you can't handle the responsibility of being a producer, don't pretend to be one.

Or, here's something else; swallow your loving pride and ask for some help. Upload your dead projects for public viewing. If you're not willing to engineer your ideas, somebody else might be.

Excuse me? I've already published several unfinished projects in the path, and more recently literally every single add-on I've created that I could find (not lost in a mess of horrible backups). Calm the hell down and realize the fact that I'm not some crazy "oh god my add-ons yes my private add-ons yes nobody must have this yes look at this I am so cool" nut. I make tons of gamemodes for the purpose of providing people with something fun to play. I make tons of libraries for the purpose of making everything easier for other add-on developers. I couldn't care less about who actually has it. Do you realize how many people I had to deal with every single day after people noticed that Super Murder Mystery was public on GitHub (like several other things I've made)?

I've already published several unfinished projects in the past*

Excuse me? I've already published several unfinished projects in the path, and more recently literally every single add-on I've created that I could find (not lost in a mess of horrible backups). Calm the hell down and realize the fact that I'm not some crazy "oh god my add-ons yes my private add-ons yes nobody must have this yes look at this I am so cool" nut. I make tons of gamemodes for the purpose of providing people with something fun to play. I make tons of libraries for the purpose of making everything easier for other add-on developers. I couldn't care less about who actually has it. Do you realize how many people I had to deal with every single day after people noticed that Super Murder Mystery was public on GitHub (like several other things I've made)?
Direct all this pent up anger at rally, not everyone else.

i think we should make a dump megathread or something

that would be cool

Here's a whole bunch of libraries and stuff: http://greek2me.us/code/

Direct all this pent up anger at rally, not everyone else.
You were one of the people who quoted the posts "It's because releasing something would mean officially saying "this works perfectly in every situation and..." from Port and "Post it in the mod discussion".

You were one of the people who quoted the posts "It's because releasing something would mean officially saying "this works perfectly in every situation and..." from Port and "Post it in the mod discussion".
I realize this. But there's nothing in that post to be so hostile towards. It's rally's post that is incredibly uncalled for. All my post says is "Put it out in mod discussion anyways, even if it isn't finished or fully functional."

I realize this. But there's nothing in that post to be so hostile towards. It's rally's post that is incredibly uncalled for. All my post says is "Put it out in mod discussion anyways, even if it isn't finished or fully functional."
But he did mention in his original post that he dumped his mods in Mod Discussion. :/

I fully agree with OP. It's a fact that the game isn't that updated often anymore. But the reason is not because Badspot wants the game to die, it's because WE should also contribute something to the community. We're all crying about how worse the game got, that badspot is way too inactive [...] while "WE" don't do anything useful to the community but just crying and raging. On the other side, there are really talented coders out there who coded some awesome stuff, but don't contribute it.

So on one side, we let the game die cause we're too lazy or whatever to create an add-on/gamemode/etc. and on the other side some coders kill the game by not contributing their stuff which could help to motivate others to code something and enhance the game experience. I've asked many Add-On coders why they keep their work private. The reason I've read very often is: "I don't like it if others use my stuff. They either play on my server or they don't play my stuff." -> This bullstuff excuse/answer implies that the person wants to force everyone on ONE server to play his/her add-on/stuff/etc. This causes a disbalance to the server i.e that one server with that add-on is like overcrowded while the rest has around 8-10 players. If that one server is completely full, then you're forgeted and there's no other server which hosts the game with the add-on as the coder decided to keep it private.

Another answer I heard very often were: "I don't want that someone steals my stuff." -> Who cares if it gets stolen? Let's say you created an add-on and release it here on this forums. Now someone 'steals' it and claims it as his/hers. Who gives a forget? If someone claims my work as theirs, I just ignore them. Those pathetic stealers won't learn anything in their life anyway and I just waste a lot of time and energy debating with them to give credits to me for using my add-on. And if anyone of those tries to contribute an infected Add-On or something, I go to the topic where I uploaded my add-on and write a note that everyone should download the add-on directly from my topic and from nowhere else. Those who don't listen and still download it from somewhere else, well... stupid. Nothing else to say to this.

So, kudos to OP. (And sorry if my English is a bit stuffty. Unfortunately, I'm not a native English speaker.)

I hold custom bricks mainly because they either aren't good enough for a public release or they have odd issues with them that I just don't want to fix.

or they have odd issues with them that I just don't want to fix.
release with source files for someone else to fix them