Author Topic: How would I get into making YouTube gaming videos?  (Read 1251 times)

Ok so I wanna start a channel dedicated to reviews of indie games (most would be free), and I'd do short little commentaries of what the game is about while playing for 2-3 minutes. My intention isn't to become famous, but I want this to be a hobby for me (making YouTube videos). Anyway I need to know if I'd use a microphone for this or a headset and if you know of any good ones which are affordable, please post them and I'd like to know of a decent and again (affordable) editing software as well. I already have a free broadcasting software which is handy (Open Broadcaster Software). Thanks! Advice is appreciated

get a great computer, a good microphone, and some money to buy games

get a great computer, a good microphone, and some money to buy games

Oh darnit this is one concern since none of my computers are high-end. Can't I still do basic recording, and editing?

Oh darnit this is one concern since none of my computers are high-end. Can't I still do basic recording, and editing?
well, it depends. editing will probably work on just about any computer. but the only way for anyone to know if recording will work fine on yours is to try it yourself

First things first: Make sure you are funny. If not, you'll just be a lame tutorial/walkthrough guy with a monotone voice.

only make lets plays of games that arent SUPER popular
or anythign thats not loving minecraft
or any loving scary game.

Also is Sony Vegas worth it? Are there any other good alternatives?

well, it depends. editing will probably work on just about any computer. but the only way for anyone to know if recording will work fine on yours is to try it yourself

I've tried recording with Bandicam and Hypercam before and it's so unbelievably leggy, I'll try Open Broadcasting Software though and see how it goes.

First things first: Make sure you are funny. If not, you'll just be a lame tutorial/walkthrough guy with a monotone voice.

I am funny, but I'm not planning on making these humorous. I'm just doing it to show others some cool indies and to present them.

I'm not that type of guy who has the patience to play a game for 20 minutes, but I might do some short let's plays of indies as well.

do a minecraft modded survival

Also is Sony Vegas worth it? Are there any other good alternatives?
honestly, if you're not gonna be doing a whole lot of editing other than stuff like removing and adding sections or whatever, Windows Live Movie Maker will be perfectly fine
so unless you're gonna be getting too serious with the whole thing, there's not any real reason to buy video editing software

These are probably going to be repeats of what other people have said, but:

1. Add some comedy to your videos.
2. Get a decent gaming PC, nobody likes to watch a game run at 15 FPS.
3. Try to do some lesser known games. Some people (talking to you, Pewdiepie fans) will shoot you down saying you "copied" someone if you do some famous game.
4. Try to play with friends as much a possible. More friends, more fun.
5. Listen to suggestions from your viewers. Who knows, they might have a game you'd really like, or a cool new feature to the channel.

honestly, if you're not gonna be doing a whole lot of editing other than stuff like removing and adding sections or whatever, Windows Live Movie Maker will be perfectly fine
so unless you're gonna be getting too serious with the whole thing, there's not any real reason to buy video editing software

I'm a noob, what exactly can Windows Live Movie Maker do? I'm used to iMovie but that's it. Windows Live Movie Maker never worked on my computer. On Windows Live Movie Maker can I insert sounds, cut scenes, edit scenes, add images, and subtitles and an intro?

These are probably going to be repeats of what other people have said, but:

1. Add some comedy to your videos.
2. Get a decent gaming PC, nobody likes to watch a game run at 15 FPS.
3. Try to do some lesser known games. Some people (talking to you, Pewdiepie fans) will shoot you down saying you "copied" someone if you do some famous game.
4. Try to play with friends as much a possible. More friends, more fun.
5. Listen to suggestions from your viewers. Who knows, they might have a game you'd really like, or a cool new feature to the channel.

I'll try but I'm definitely not investing anything in a new PC

I'm a noob, what exactly can Windows Live Movie Maker do? I'm used to iMovie but that's it. Windows Live Movie Maker never worked on my computer. On Windows Live Movie Maker can I insert sounds, cut scenes, edit scenes, add images, and subtitles and an intro?
you can do all that stuff, except maybe the intro bit. like, you can use it to insert an into, if you have it as another video file, but it'd be difficult to make a decent one in that program itself
but if you have a Mac idk what to tell you

you can do all that stuff, except maybe the intro bit. like, you can use it to insert an into, if you have it as another video file, but it'd be difficult to make a decent one in that program itself
but if you have a Mac idk what to tell you

I don't have a Mac anymore, my G4 broke down after 9 years running and I had a Pro which I was carrying from my bedroom to my living room and fell right out of my hands when I bumped into the closet and it just shattered a few months ago. I had it for about 6 and a half years though.

meh, not everything minecraft is bad, it's mostly the fanbases

ok if you are planning on monetizing your videos don't you have to get written permission from the copyright holders or some stuff?

if so how would one go about doing that?