Author Topic: Sudden computer problems?  (Read 1254 times)

So up until today my computer has been running flawlessly.
Today my friend was asking me about building a computer (because that's what I did), so I decided to open mine up and kinda show him what everything was n crap. Now, all I took out was one stick of RAM, and didn't do anything else. Put it back in correctly n all that, and when I started it back up all of a sudden *all* of my games started lagging decently. So I restarted it to see if just something didn't go right starting it up the first time, still did it. So then I took it back out and re-inserted all of my RAM and dusted everything off with my canned air whateverit'scalled, and it's still doing it, although now my older/less demanding games work fine but now the more demanding games (like Star Wars: The Old Republic) are still laggin, but they never lagged at all before. YouTube videos will also be very very choppy. So I don't have any idea what's going on, hopefully you guys can help :(

Here's my specs:

Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz
16GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 760

Not sure what else to put there, but if you need anything else I'll grab it for ya

Thanks in advance!

could be the motherboard

I wonder how I could've damaged or done anything to that then?

It's possible that the computer is no longer using your graphics card if even youtube videos are lagging.

Was your PC unplugged when you were loving with the RAM? Were you electrically grounded?

It's possible that the computer is no longer using your graphics card if even youtube videos are lagging.
Even though I'm still able to run games?

Was your PC unplugged when you were loving with the RAM? Were you electrically grounded?
Yeah I unplugged everything, turned off the power supply n everything. All I did was take one out and put it back in, didn't touch any part I shouldnt've.

open the device manager and see if any of the components have a "!" in them

Were you electrically grounded?
what mp7964 means by this is that he's asking if you made sure all the static electricity was out of you before you started to fuddle with those parts inside. if you didn't touch some metal or wear an anti-shock bracelet or whatever it's called, you could have unknowingly fried something. happened to me once when i was like 12, now i never open a computer without grounding myself.

open the device manager and see if any of the components have a "!" in them

Even though I'm still able to run games?
It's possible it's using your integrated graphics on your intel CPU... Able to run some games but modern games lag severely, sounds exactly like it to me.

This is the only thing that has the ! on it.

what mp7964 means by this is that he's asking if you made sure all the static electricity was out of you before you started to fuddle with those parts inside. if you didn't touch some metal or wear an anti-shock bracelet or whatever it's called, you could have unknowingly fried something. happened to me once when i was like 12, now i never open a computer without grounding myself.
this is possible, although I didn't necessarily touch the component itself rather the plastic casing that's holding it (the RAM).

It's possible it's using your integrated graphics on your intel CPU... Able to run some games but modern games lag severely, sounds exactly like it to me.
Yeah this is sounding right. How would I check if the graphics card is functioning properly? because like I said above, the graphics card doesn't have a ! on it in the device manager.

Scratch that guys, as it turns out I'm just a loving idiot. There was a wire blocking my CPU cooling fan to spin.

wow.

That's why you do neat cable management. Then all your wires are tucked out of the way.