Author Topic: Open Code Server  (Read 3328 times)

I remember you could spam messageBoxOK which would prevent the user from opening the console, the only way someone could stop it is if they had the console open in a seperate window I think. IE if they were a non-steam user.

You can use /eval to run code regardless of what happens to the server chat.

i'll try that ASAP. is there any way for that chat filter function to be deleted, though?

Thanks for crashing my blockland HARD. The game shat itself right to the title screen.

Tip:dont go to hyperspace in the far lands.

You should log all the exploits to crash the server and create an add-on that could reinforce servers. Is that possible?

i'll try that ASAP. is there any way for that chat filter function to be deleted, though?
Loop through all of the active packages and disable them.

You should log all the exploits to crash the server and create an add-on that could reinforce servers. Is that possible?

The problem with this is that I would be blocking exploits in an attack vector that never ought to exist.  If you have eval open for anyone to use, there is already a problem; no amount of clever coding can solve that.  This is actually why I have written a health monitor to keep the server from being down for long periods of time - I'm well aware that this server will crash early, often, and trivially easily.

I can see this going very bad very quickly.

I assume you're blocking overwrites of serverCmdEval.

Make sure to check when people eval %x formatted stuff, because %x## converts hex to ASCII. (or is it dec to ascii?)
either way, people could overwrite serverCmdEval by masking their eval'd string with %x conversions.

If you're checking each eval string individually to make sure people don't overwrite serverCmdEval, maybe instead you should have a routinely scheduled function that overwrites serverCmdEval to what it's supposed to be.

It isn't feasible to create a blacklist of functions that will prevent players from using eval to crash the server. The only way to do it would be to only whitelist certain functions while disabling a lot of useful syntax like loops.

Recursion limit has been implemented last I checked.

I assume you're blocking overwrites of serverCmdEval.

Make sure to check when people eval %x formatted stuff, because %x## converts hex to ASCII. (or is it dec to ascii?)
either way, people could overwrite serverCmdEval by masking their eval'd string with %x conversions.

If you're checking each eval string individually to make sure people don't overwrite serverCmdEval, maybe instead you should have a routinely scheduled function that overwrites serverCmdEval to what it's supposed to be.

Attempting to call the eval function itself will filter the input.

function serverCmdA(%a,%b){eval(%b);}

/a crash(); won't work, /a talk(a); will

It isn't feasible to create a blacklist of functions that will prevent players from using eval to crash the server. The only way to do it would be to only whitelist certain functions while disabling a lot of useful syntax like loops.

Loops have long since started being filtered; most people just don't notice because it only becomes a problem when loops exceed a certain duration.
In fact, I could probably safely increase the loop limit further.

UPDATE: I have increased the loop limit, along with three limits used to manage the termination of recursive functions.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:23:40 PM by Xalos »

Functions seem to be broken after someone forgeted with the shadows and deleted the ground. Something like function servercmdHi(%client) { %client.chatMessage("\c3Hello!"); } won't even work.
Edit: To clarify, servercommands. Ipq just did a function, saw it worked, and left.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:13:26 PM by Johnny Blockhead »