Author Topic: Best way to upload on a dedi?  (Read 690 times)

I need to find a way to upload a file to my dedicated server.
Is there a way I can use /reloadbricks to get my load up quicker?

The build is 100k+ so I'd like it if I could do it without loading the normal way

you... what
you can't reload something you didn't just load. if you did just load it, then use /reloadbricks...
there's no magical way to make something upload faster

There's this thing called dedi load or whatever with CBM. It works by having the save transferred to the server, and then typing /dediload [name], but I've never gotten it to work.

If you can't find any way of doing it, if I'm not mistaken, setting the timescale to 2 increases the speed. Don't ask me why, but I'm pretty sure it does.

i'm p sure uploading saves in-game is bottlenecked by packet rates or something goofy like that. there was a topic about it ages ago, idk if it was disprovbved or not

if that's the case, though, actually downloading the file on the server-side would be faster. you can easily do this through torquescript, but blockland doesn't support HTTPS, so some sites wouldn't be an option (namely dropbox since they now force HTTPS what a bunch of jerkholes)

on my VPS i had to rig up a system to download files from a local python server to get around this, but it might not matter for you, esp if you can just use FTP or something

If you can't find any way of doing it, if I'm not mistaken, setting the timescale to 2 increases the speed. Don't ask me why, but I'm pretty sure it does.
if this is the case, there likely is some kind of artificial limit on packet transfer

if this is the case, there likely is some kind of artificial limit on packet transfer
oh yah, I think someone mentioned limited packets when I heard about it

you... what
you can't reload something you didn't just load. if you did just load it, then use /reloadbricks...
Well the server has to pull the save from somewhere when someone uses /reloadbricks??

I can FTP the save into that location so it'll think its loading something previously loaded?

Well the server has to pull the save from somewhere when someone uses /reloadbricks??
yeah... its cache
I can FTP the save into that location so it'll think its loading something previously loaded?
I don't think that's really how the cache works
you could upload the file to the saves folder, then maybe using some console command in the server's own console or using eval or something, would let it load from there without you having to upload it in-game? but idk if there is such a console command
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:03:04 PM by Foxscotch »

yeah... its cache
So is there a way I can rig it so it works on /reloadbricks?

yes. it's base/server/temp/temp.bls

yes. it's base/server/temp/temp.bls
And that will work?
when I do /reloadbricks it'll all be there?

And that will work?
when I do /reloadbricks it'll all be there?
yes indeedly sir