Can you guys solve a maths questions for me?

Author Topic: Can you guys solve a maths questions for me?  (Read 1684 times)

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
24(12)
=288
wow this is easy

isnt it what comes first? I've always made the operation independent of it being a multiplication of division, what comes first is done first.

isnt it what comes first? I've always made the operation independent of it being a multiplication of division, what comes first is done first.
it's from left to right in PEMDAS-
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction
not sure what you mean if you're talking about something else

it's from left to right in PEMDAS-
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction
not sure what you mean if you're talking about something else
PEMDAS is parenthesis, exponentiation, multiplication/division (the slash is important), addition/subtraction.
The slash means that 5*3/5 and 3/5*5 both come out to be different things, because it's done in order of which comes first.

aha, i see what this is
it's one of those maths questions that have more than one theoretical answer. good show son.

aha, i see what this is
it's one of those maths questions that have more than one theoretical answer. good show son.
There's only more than one theoretical answer if you decide to ignore the chosen math standards we set for ourself in favour of la-la-loopy-land.

division OR multiplication, not before it
bro this is like 4th grade math
i wasnt taught like you. i dont follow the american ways

wow this is easy
*cough* handicapped *cough*

I'll spill the answer, it can be anything outside of 288 aswell as 288. So technically you're all right apart from setro here who is a little on the special side.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:58:59 PM by Starzy »