the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16210 times)

But the multiplication / division steps are combined, as in, here:

10 / 5 * 3

Regardless of what method you learned, multiplication and division are of the same precedence, and you would simply go left to right, and get the answer 6. This is the same thing:

10 / 5 * (1 + 2)

Of course, here you do the addition between the parentheses, but after that, it becomes three, and you, again, go left to right, and get 6. This is where it forgets up:

10 / 5(1 + 2)

This makes it appear as though the 5 and the addition are "merged", but it's still multiplication. Removing the symbol doesn't change the precedence of operations.

Its to do with the way calculations are worked out, America used PEMDAS, England uses BODMAS (division before multiplication), but we work out whats in the brackets (parenthesis?) first.
you think there are no English calculators or huh?
also... if you do division before multiplication... you will get 288

in other news, I guarantee that Wolfram Alpha is better at math than you are

Good luck in grade 10 / whatever is equivalent

288 btw, like how Kingdaro stated

Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/division from left to right, then Addition/Subtraction from left to right.

So
48/2(12)
24(12)

Also, PEMDAS is misleading. As i said above, Multiplication and division are both from left to right, depending on what comes first. I could have 3 multiplication problems on the right, but if i have even 1 division problem closest to the left, i do that first. Same goes for Addition and subtraction. Parenthesis and Exponents still come first, but ARE in order, so you would do Parenthesis first then Exponents.

22/2*2(22-2(2))

"Depending on whether one interprets the expression as  (48/2)(9+3)  or as  48/(2(9+3))  one gets  288  or  2.  There is no standard convention as to which of these two ways the expression should be interpreted, so, in fact,  48/2(9+3)  is ambiguous.  To render it unambiguous, one should write it either as  (48/2)(9+3)  or  48/(2(9+3)).  This applies, in general, to any expression of the form  a/bc :  one needs to insert parentheses to show whether one means  (a/b)c  or  a/(bc). "

http://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

I already solved it guys.

I agree, the way the problem was written is hella misleading.

I agree, the way the problem was written is hella misleading.
Math is never misleading.

This topic is amazing. I never knew people could forget up so badly at understanding basics like this. GL in later classes I guess.

This topic is amazing. I never knew people could forget up so badly at understanding basics like this. GL in later classes I guess.
may thoth step downeth from thine holy pedestal amongst thy gods and enlighten us mortal peasants with thy glorious knowledge on mathematical problems?

may thoth step downeth from thine holy pedestal amongst thy gods and enlighten us mortal peasants with thy glorious knowledge on mathematical problems?
The solution has already been posted so many times in this topic...

Its to do with the way calculations are worked out, America used PEMDAS, England uses BODMAS (division before multiplication), but we work out whats in the brackets (parenthesis?) first.
Don't blame different education systems for the fact that you're retarted, googling BODMAS all sites return brackets > orders > division AND multiplications > addition AND subtraction. PEMDAS and BODMAS are just different phrasing of one rule, but said rule is the same across the whole world.

Math is never misleading.

I'm just try to wonder how this math problem has 11 pages

Don't blame different education systems for the fact that you're retarted

10/10 best stuff I've seen all week

I dropped out of school when I was 12 and I never learned PEMDAS or BODMAS, Maths isn't even a subject I enjoy. I still managed to solve the equation in my head for an answer of 228.

I think there are a lot of people in this thread who need to take an online course or something before their lacking knowledge of maths comes to bite them in the ass later in life