Author Topic: Free-spinning wheels  (Read 3558 times)

In Blockland, airplanes are powered by their wheels.  This is annoying.

Is there any way to make a wheel which is "in neutral", completely disconnected from the engine, or instead give the engine no power without the wheels then eternally spinning in reverse?

So I'm assuming you've tried setWheelPowered(); then? Just want to double check before I type a bunch of stuff.

That doesn't actually put the wheel into neutral.  The engine still "powers" the wheel - try writing a quick script to set all the wheels on a jeep to not be powered.  As long as you hold down W, you'll continue to coast for a very long distance.  Not only that, but the wheels also aren't freespinning; if you then accelerate the Jeep scriptually, then it will want to rapidly stop unless you hold down W.

On top of that, with mouse steering you can still move forward in a vehicle even if all the wheels are set to not be powered.

Coasting with W is a known bug in the engine with unpowered wheels. As far as the jeep trying to stop "really fast," it seems to decelerate at the same speed whether or not the wheels are powered for me.

On top of that, with mouse steering you can still move forward in a vehicle even if all the wheels are set to not be powered.

Actually, I'm getting (odd) backwards movement when I press W or D in a jeep with all wheels set to not powered.

Actually, I'm getting (odd) backwards movement when I press W or D in a jeep with all wheels set to not powered.
Yes, but if you use mouse steering you can go forward (albeit slowly) like this: http://puu.sh/bH2Dk/6e51d08bac.mp4

Yes, but if you use mouse steering you can go forward (albeit slowly) like this: http://puu.sh/bH2Dk/6e51d08bac.mp4
you can do that without mouse steering too, but you hafta rock your player back and fourth alot more.

anyway, it seems to me like if you change some of the wheel friction settings you can get the braking when not pressing W to stop...

Also, if i recall correctly, using gravitycat's gas mod you can get your car to coast pretty far when you run out of gas, you should see how that is done.

Also, if i recall correctly, using gravitycat's gas mod you can get your car to coast pretty far when you run out of gas, you should see how that is done.

That's done by causing the player to no longer be in control of the vehicle.  This is a completely unacceptable way of doing things, because I need the wheels to always be free-spinning.  It would be a little difficult to take off in your plane if the mod constantly made you no longer be in control of the vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:36:12 PM by Xalos »