Dialogue System (For NPC's)

Author Topic: Dialogue System (For NPC's)  (Read 2790 times)

The ability to initiate "conversations" via events, preferably for use on NPC's. A popup box would appear and you could talk with the npc in a traditional RPG manner.

Using prompt events never leads to particularly interesting conversations with NPC's. It'd be interesting to have a dialogue system so we can implement gameplay features better (such as shops) and get story information.

The closest way to replicate this with current events is with bricks and a still NPC.

Like using the bricks to make choices in conversation or something.

But a mod that actively supports direct conversation would be pretty badass and useful in many ways.

Suggested this years ago.
Still needs to be done.

I still want it.

Well, VCE has a last client message/team message variables, if you have enough knowledge then you COULD do it with events

I made something like this a while ago for my RPG. I never backed it up though, and I lost it since.

Basically, the server communicated to the client through a series of clientCmds to dynamically build a dialog box, with whatever title, text, and whatever and however many buttons you wanted, each with whatever option and whatever serverCmd to call on click

I made something like this a while ago for my RPG. I never backed it up though, and I lost it since.

Basically, the server communicated to the client through a series of clientCmds to dynamically build a dialog box, with whatever title, text, and whatever and however many buttons you wanted, each with whatever option and whatever serverCmd to call on click

If someone could reproduce such a thing that would be absolutely lovely. Prompt events are pretty wonky anyways and occasionally break.

If someone could reproduce such a thing that would be absolutely lovely. Prompt events are pretty wonky anyways and occasionally break.
Only problem is what he's describing requires a client mod.

Only problem is what he's describing requires a client mod.
True, but any half-decent RPG that involves more than clicking on bricks is going to have one anyways

you can make it so that if the player doesn't have a client mod they can trigger dialog that is displayed with center prints with the 1234567890 brick keybinds

you can make it so that if the player doesn't have a client mod they can trigger dialog that is displayed with center prints with the 1234567890 brick keybinds

Do you know what that function would be called? I've seen it done a few times but don't know what to look for.

Do you know what that function would be called? I've seen it done a few times but don't know what to look for.
1234568+- are all serverCmdShiftBrick with different argument given (three arguments for x, y, and z)
79 are serverCmdRotateBrick
0 is serverCmdCancelBrick
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:39:14 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

more relevant building commands are:

serverCmdRotateBrick [ang]
serverCmdPlantBrick
serverCmdShiftBrick [x] [y] [z]
--serverCmdSuperShiftBrick [x] [y] [z]

Whoops I meant for the keybinds that are with selecting a brick, so not numpad numbers. Would that be something like serverCmdSelectBrick? Also would it be just overwriting the function so if it's in a chat dialogue it chooses a chat option?