Author Topic: Why do many users refer to the time v8-9 as the "Golden Age" of Blockland?  (Read 3615 times)

so who was that who said nostalgia is linked with a big age difference. i recall there being a debate on this forum about it.
If you remember back to playing with the bedroom or the slopes and it makes you happy or you kinda feel like you miss it, that's nostalgia. Doesn't have to be a huge age difference.

I joined in early v8 and I loved that time because of the community. The people were dedicated more to building, and building quality stuff. Guys like USSR and MotE were standards of excellence.

It's because that's when the golden brick was found much more easily.

It might just be that I don't browse a lot of servers these days, but it seemed to be that back then there were a lot more populated servers dedicated to building things.

um i only had demo in v8 so

i liked v9 tho, when they put in events oh forget i remember when i first made a brick disappear and we made a magic door off that, rly good times

idk its just a nostalgic feeling

I agree with everyone else here, as a side note: I really want an inclination like that again. The increase in player base seems to be the only thing going upward right now, everything else seems to either being left behind or going down.

V This may or may not be drama down here V

What I meant by that is, You don't see as many new and original servers. The increasing player base seems to be pointed in the wrong direction in my opinion. I want to find a server I'd like to join and make a home server, besides my own that goes up every other week. I'm personally having trouble moving with the community, I can't find friendly people either. I'm actually surprised that some new players stay, I actually showed 5 or 8 of my Steam friends Blockland when it came to steam, and they didn't know what to do when they first got it. One thing led to another and they probably joined bad servers. That defiantly made a bad impression of the game for them, not a single one who bought the game still plays today.

ahhh v8

interiors... original servers... all my friends

I think many users refer to it as the "Golden Age" because it was the peek of their amusement on Blockland. People do it a lot on other games as well. The reason that the earlier stages of a game seem more amusing to them is because during that stage, They didn't know how to do anything and didn't know what things were. So it was a whole new learning experience of trying to new things and goofing off. But now, People have done so much in the game to the point where nothing feels fun and new anymore to them, But they still want to keep playing.

I agree with everyone else here, as a side note: I really want an inclination like that again. The increase in player base seems to be the only thing going upward right now, everything else seems to either being left behind or going down.
I keep seeing people with the same exact view as you and I don't agree at all. I haven't noticed much of a change over the years to those things going upward or downward - the only time I actually noticed a change in the playerbase was at the steam release.

I think the whole "blockland is getting worse" perspective is the result of widespread drama-infused hormone-driven news station-like extreme overstatement of minor crap and now it's gotten to the point where we get a "BL IS DYING" topic every week to continue the hysteria and recruit more believers

The game is not getting worse. Some people are, but if you let that affect you, you're part of the problem.

gold nuggets
events, nostalgia, and way less assoholics than we have today.

I liked Blockland a lot more in V8 but that was only because the game was new to me and I was a kid

It was 6 years ago. Everyone who refers to it as the golden age was there 6 or more years ago.

Whenever the forums poll on the subject, the average age of users tends to be about 14.
Which would mean most users back then were about 13-15.
Add 6+ years on to that, and most players from back then are nearly 20 years old.

Of course they're going to look back on it with fond memories, since it was their childhood, and now they're on the cusp of adulthood, or are an adult.

I was younger and found simpler things more entertaining.
Can't really go to a freebuild nowadays and have fun for 10 hours. Now I just look around, see nothing cool, and leave.