Author Topic: iPhone 6/iOS 8 Launch is basically a disaster  (Read 18833 times)

Well no stuff. It's called mark up. They're trying to make a profit.
They're not a charity, so they're not going to sell it at the same cost of the materials/construction.
I'm well aware of markup, I just never realised how huge the gap was in comparison to other products, or how cheap the materials for an iPhone actually are.

I'm well aware of markup, I just never realised how huge the gap was in comparison to other products, or how cheap the materials for an iPhone actually are.
Well, that's in large part due to it being a brand.
They have such a name in the business that people will gladly pay a large fee for their items, because it's fasionable.

I'm sure they have an exceedingly large marketing team at Apple who work out exactly what value to sell their products for, knowing that they'll get enough people who will happily pay that price, so they can earn the maximum profits possible.

It's certainly shocking from an outside perspective when you see how much Apple makes compared to how much they spend on their products (although, that said, while the material and construction costs may be low, they would already have spent millions of dollars on research, design and marketing).
But then, that's their right and priviledge when they have such a well-known and established brand.

My dad has an iphone 6. He keeps it in his pockets all day and it hasn't bent. Checkmate nerds.
Also this.
Seriously?

Also it's the 6 plus we are talking about.
you're missing the point

if anything you should say "how dare they not know how much force they were exerting on an iphone6"
Just putting it in their pocket and sitting down is their fault? Yeah ok.

On the old topic of phone prices, my Moto G was only $100 without a contract and in my opinion, its way better.

On the old topic of phone prices, my Moto G was only $100 without a contract and in my opinion, its way better.
have you owned an iphone 6

have you owned an iphone 6
no, I have used older iPhones though, they just weren't for me.

no, I have used older iPhones though, they just weren't for me.
Okay, so you can't compare it to the iphone 6 as you never used one.

Apple did it again!!!!!!!! Another beautiful product produced by the BEST manufacturer in the world!!! Foxconn!!!
Okay, so you can't compare it to the iphone 6 as you never used one.
IOS feels so bloated

IOS feels so bloated
Yes. This.

And it's also really limited. You're not even allowed to access a command line. In what operating system does the creator actively try to keep people from having the option to install a terminal emulator.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:22:50 AM by blueblur121 »

"This was painful to do." Go ahead and press down on your desk with your thumbs until it quite literally hurts to push any harder. That's how much force it required out of this grown ass man to bend it.
He was referring to seeing the phone break. By painful he meant depressing. I shouldn't need to explain this.

"Here, buy our phone! You're not allowed to install software unless we say it's okay."

"Here, buy our phone! You're not allowed to install software unless we say it's okay."
Apple is about security over freedom. I mean, why wouldn't you expect an iPhone to be restricted when you've seen how Macs are?
And it's also really limited. You're not even allowed to access a command line.
I don't think people want to have their important information leaked onto other devices, or have their entire phone lock up from giving it to their clueless child.
Besides, why would a phone NEED the command line? It would make the device open to outside devices, as previously mentioned, and could just be used to access the files inside the iPhone to hack it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:03:19 AM by BlockoCrafter »

Yes. This.

And it's also really limited. You're not even allowed to access a command line. In what operating system does the creator actively try to keep people from having the option to install a terminal emulator.
IIRC you can't use a terminal emulator on Android without rooting

There is no definitively better OS. Apple has widespread appeal for its ease of use, aesthetic, simplicity, and the extensive app store.
Android has a different kind of appeal for the amount of control you have over it, its customizability, and the ability to install 3rd party apps, along with rooting being much easier

IIRC you can't use a terminal emulator on Android without rooting

There is no definitively better OS. Apple has widespread appeal for its ease of use, aesthetic, simplicity, and the extensive app store.
Android has a different kind of appeal for the amount of control you have over it, its customizability, and the ability to install 3rd party apps, along with rooting being much easier

Ease of use is pretty subjective, I don't see how would an Android be hard to use compared to iOS really.

Aesthetic-wise, indeed the iPhones had that nice rim and everything that made them stand out, however personally I don't like the iPhone 6 design, it completely countered everything they did right on 4 and 5.

Apple has it's own clutter apps just like Android. Except simplicity in design I don't see that much of a deal here. Define "simplicity" and "ease of use" pls.

Extensive app store is there because quality checking is there for the most part. Apple has a much more respectable App store than the Google Market crap which is really nice though. Also it actually bloody supports PayPal as far as I know and I am not forced to use Google Wallet crap.

Android does have that customization stuff going on for it, which is good yeah.

3rd party apps are great because things like bundles (see: Humble Bundle) can exist and it allows for a wider area of apps, however this also means a lot of crap comes through.

I don't see rooting being a strong point for an argument here, nor jailbreaking. They are both actions meant to unlock the phone further but in regression, void the warranty in many cases.

A strong point for iPhone is the screen, because it's IPS, there shouldn't (citation needed?) have a burn-in problem.
Today I just experienced my first big Android problem and that is the AMOLED display - I apparently burned certain pixels, particularly the blue ones. I can see how that's my fault (loving Alarm Clock programs) but I don't think that would've happened on iPhone's IPS, not to mention it's not the alarm clock itself, it could have just happened with anything else anyway.
I never thought this would be an issue ever again since kids don't know what CRT even is anymore.

Ease of use is pretty subjective, I don't see how would an Android be hard to use compared to iOS really.
it's more that Apple has a better design philosophy, and it's consistent between versions. Meanwhile, Android suffers from the back button problem (the back button is unpredictable, read here

Aesthetic-wise, indeed the iPhones had that nice rim and everything that made them stand out, however personally I don't like the iPhone 6 design, it completely countered everything they did right on 4 and 5.
Apple has always had great aesthetics IMO. Not to say Android hasn't, but most Android phones don't stand out to me. Android also has the problem of inconsistent iconography, there's no standard so everything sticks out like a sore thumb.

Apple has it's own clutter apps just like Android. Except simplicity in design I don't see that much of a deal here. Define "simplicity" and "ease of use" pls.

Extensive app store is there because quality checking is there for the most part. Apple has a much more respectable App store than the Google Market crap which is really nice though. Also it actually bloody supports PayPal as far as I know and I am not forced to use Google Wallet crap.
half of the stuff on google market is ad bait. i wish more app developers would consider android but it's unappealing to have to code your app for 20 different screen sizes and stuff.