moving environment?

Author Topic: moving environment?  (Read 3470 times)

ok. what i am building is a mystery gamemode on a train. what i want is whenever you look out a window, you can see trees and stuff moving past you, as if you are moving forward at a fast speed.

im not sure how this could be executed but what i was thinking is something like a moving skybox are if possible a moving print for a brick.

Not nearly as easy as it was when we had maps, but with some coding it's definitely possible (But it might look ugly)

Not even sure how this would be done without it looking ugly.

Matching the moving shapes up with the ground might be a pain.

Matching the moving shapes up with the ground might be a pain.
It'd still be ugly.

Make a fancy static shape tree. Create an animation that moves the tree at constant speed in a specific direction for a long distance (from out of the view, past the train, to out of the view again).

Spawn loads of these trees, and play the animation in a loop.

Make the ground texture move with the same speed for even better effect.

Animated skybox? Can that be done?

You could use static shapes moving, or perhaps a series of particle emitters in the shapes of trees.  It wouldn't necessarily look good though.

You could use static shapes moving, or perhaps a series of particle emitters in the shapes of trees.  It wouldn't necessarily look good though.
But emitters can't be seen through transparent bricks. If windows were planned to be used, you wouldn't see them, and no windows would probably look like, ugh. Up to you.

You could use models as projectiles and set a delay event, like replace the rocket projectile with a tree model that is spawned in a period of seconds.

Does anyone have a way to get the default tree brick's model? I can get this done.

Does anyone have a way to get the default tree brick's model? I can get this done.
It does not have a model. The closest thing to a model it has is it's DTS collision model.

It does not have a model. The closest thing to a model it has is it's DTS collision model.
I'm aware it is not technically a model. You know what I mean.

I'm aware it is not technically a model. You know what I mean.
I could recreat it in sketchup if you want

...a .blb file is just another way to serialize a 3d model, pretty much like a .obj file.

Of course it has a model.