Author Topic: NAT 3 networking issues  (Read 1001 times)

Since I've moved into my new apartment I've noticed that GTA online/Red Dead Redemption doesn't match me with any players, however computer games do work online. I've researched this and found there's a problem with my network not being a NAT 3 type.
I've tried different tutorials on YouTube and literally nothing works to change it to an open NAT.
I've decided that the problem lies with the network ISP. The ISP is owned by the group who own the apartments around here (and due to legal reasons I'm not actually allowed to own a router, but of course I do)
Does anyone know anything more about this? I may be wrong in my theory but if anyone else has had some problems simmilar to mine please help me out. It's urgent, when I play GTA online it only puts me on empty free roam servers.

What is the UPNP set to on the router?
It should be on.

I don't think you're using the term ISP correctly.

Either way, I'm taking networking at the moment and never heard of a problem like you're describing before...

But you do know how NAT works? I only have a faint idea

It translates the data from the internet to the local area network. And by translating it, I mean going from the WAN IP to LAN IP so it can get to the correct computer.

you want to know how it works? for what?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
I don't think that's gonna help you with your problem much

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200525767-GTA-Online-Connection-Sync-Problems-Losing-connection-to-online-games-empty-lobbies

You have to open ports according to this
Thanks,

I've redirected myself to portforward.com and have found the correct model of my router, so I should use this web page? Is there any chance I'll mess up the router or anything?

Terrible internet, I know..
but look at the ISP, is it possible they could restrict port forwarding? If they make it so you can only be on NAT 3

Terrible internet, I know..
that's actually not bad (my opinion)

I don't see how your speed would effect your situation
all ISPS allow port forwarding to my knowledge

The ISP is owned by the group who own the apartments around here
Do you actually have your own independent internet connection? A DSL or cable line or whatever it is, connected to a modem in your household?
Or do you just have an ethernet cable line given to you, and all your connections split of off that?
You need to have the former to be able to port forward. If it's the latter, all the NAT operations are handled by the first router, the one connected adjacent to the modem, which since you don't have access to, you can't port forward

EDIT: I just remembered it was you who posted this thread
It's the latter

Just talked to someone on my block and he confirmed that it's impossible to port forward, instead I have to ask my landlord to port forward for me, however it's too much effort to explain considering we're not even allowed a router for legal reasons. Thanks for everyone's support, I'll lock this