Author Topic: Shaders not working on iMac - gtx 750m  (Read 2832 times)

I recently got an iMac as a gift with a GTX 750m as a GPU and have discovered that it is unable to run shaders. Could someone tell me if the card has the ability to run shaders? I've searched around and found that this is consistent in Mac OSX, but I'm not sure, since this one has different hardware.

I think you need a PC.

:cookieMonster:

If you can't run shaders then that's the end of it. And it's not so much a graphics card problem but rather a problem with OpenGL.

Macs are known for their various issues with Blockland. I even have a MacBook Air and I can't save any saves and/or prefs.
Not sure if this will fix the problem, but if you have some money you can try buying a copy of Windows and using Boot Camp to dual boot your system.

Past research has determined that the Mac graphics drivers basically just suck. If you install Windows or Linux on the same system and install the drivers there, it should work fine.

Try updating your drivers, this may not be it but its a big cause
(There should be a new one because of the gtx 970 and 980)

I've messed with Macs on the developer level and on the install-linux-and-boot-it-successfully level. I have a fair amount of knowledge with how they work.

Know what you're doing before doing this. You could mess the computer up if you do even one thing improperly.
Install Linux. Do not install a bootloader like GRUB unless you really know what you're doing. Install rEFInd on Mac OS X and then set up your linux distro for EFISTUB. Only do this if the distro you pick supports EFISTUB.

If you want the easy way out, install Windows using Boot Camp.
Past research has determined that the Mac graphics drivers basically just suck. If you install Windows or Linux on the same system and install the drivers there, it should work fine.
Badspot has to modify the platform-specific Objective-C code and possibly the Interface Builder files in the Xcode project so that it'll instantiate a OpenGL 3.2 context. Currently, it instantiates an OpenGL context without specifying a version, so Mac OS's behavior is to initialize the OpenGL 2.1 context (I wonder why Apple does this...)

That is difficult. I myself think that Objective-C is awkward and I can't really understand the OpenGL tutorial Apple provides. I might give it a read later, though.
Try updating your drivers, this may not be it but its a big cause
(There should be a new one because of the gtx 970 and 980)
There are no drivers to update. Apple updates and provides the drivers for you. (but they are late on updating (Mavericks is the only OSX version that supports OpenGL 4.1 right now), just like quite a few other software packages and libraries they provide for you)

If you can't run shaders then that's the end of it. And it's not so much a graphics card problem but rather a problem with OpenGL.
It's a problem with how Torque instantiates the OpenGL context. Quite a few other programs for Mac OS have this problem.

Actually no. It's just that TGE initializes the legacy OpenGL context which is OpenGL 2.1.