Author Topic: Help me prove that time exists  (Read 1793 times)

One of my friends believes that time is an illusion - it doesn't exist as an actual force that can change anything. It's just a measurement of the chronological sequence of things

So guys, I need help proving him wrong. The theory of relativity couldn't work if time wasn't real could it? One watch could move slower than another if it was flying in orbit around the earth if time didn't exist; yet it happens. For some reason this isn't enough proof - he thinks of it in terms of speed: if a car is going around a curve it will move faster than one farther out. But it's not the velocity that's changing- it's the speed of the watch's function. To this he just responded that it must be something we don't know yet. Hngggggggggg

halp me gai'z

He's trolling you or not worth your time

Tell him he's a moron if time didn't exist we wouldn't age

Just go find that study that proved that time slows down as you go faster, if something can be affected by a natural force then it has to exist.

sounds like your friend isn't going to change his view on time

sounds like you should get better friends

sounds like your friend isn't going to change his view on time

sounds like you should get non-idiotic friends
Ftfy

OT: There isn't any real way to convince your friend, sorry

Tell him he's a moron if time didn't exist we wouldn't age
lolwat

That's not what I meant. He didn't mean that time doesn't exist and nothing progresses, he meant that time as a force that can change or be affected doesn't exist. Time is sort of like math in his mind - it's just a way people thought of to measure and understand the world around us.

Just go find that study that proved that time slows down as you go faster, if something can be affected by a natural force then it has to exist.
This is what I was thinking, but my explanation of that study of relativity wasn't good enough for him. Maybe I should just do that and look up the actual study instead

sounds like you should get better friends
You would stop being friends with someone because he has a weird opinion on how time works? ._.

lol newspeed tried to sound smart and failed

lol newspeed tried to sound smart and failed
Yeah that tends to happen with me

time is more like a whole web made up of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

If time isn't real then why do we have watches case in point

Two atomic clocks were synchronized to eachother. One was left on the ground and one went on a plane ride. They measured both clocks after the flight and the one which was on the plane was a little bit behind; time was going slower for it because it was travelling faster. The faster you move, the slower time goes.