Author Topic: Dizzyness  (Read 1509 times)

Taking ALOT of damage doesnt seem much in the blocklander's eyes just a red flash and thats it
what if you take alot of damage (60-99HP) and your screen is black for 5 seconds or everything is blurry and you are forced to crouch until you can see again

i came up with this idea during some rocket battle

that sounds needlessly crippling and terrible for the same reason taboo's drop-weapon-if-you-get-shot-really-hard script is terrible

if you have this script running on a server, this would mean two things. one, any weapon that would kill in two hits functionally kills in one because doing more then half damage in a single shot would render the other player instantly helpless and unable to protect themselves. THAT means that their aggressor has a free shot, and that means the affected player is forgeted beyond belief

second it's not even like a curt like 'oh, i've been outmatched, forget' death. it's one of those stuffty boss battles deaths where you know you're dead because regardless of whether or not you survived the initial shot you're going to die because of stuff you literally cannot respond to anyway, and thus the entire span of time between 'getting killed' and 'actually dying' is a sudden frustrating swerve

why would you ever need this in the first place

I attempted something like this a long time ago.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=244884.0

is this similar to what you're talking about?

I attempted something like this a long time ago.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=244884.0

is this similar to what you're talking about?
Omg I want try out that

Omg I want try out that
I do apologize, but the mod's dead. I only made it so far with it because I had limited coding knowledge at the time and a lot of the code was helped with by a friend (he gave me permission to take credit for it; just putting that out). It uses marble man's method of blinding which is now crap and a bunch of other stuff that I regret putting in. Not to mention console spam and other broken stuff.

I'll probably recreate it, someday.

To reinforce what the splendid chaps above me said, after a while it'd get tedious and annoying. A quaint idea would be to just have your screen maybe have a swirling effect for a few seconds, not the whole black scenario?

that sounds needlessly crippling and terrible for the same reason taboo's drop-weapon-if-you-get-shot-really-hard script is terrible

if you have this script running on a server, this would mean two things. one, any weapon that would kill in two hits functionally kills in one because doing more then half damage in a single shot would render the other player instantly helpless and unable to protect themselves. THAT means that their aggressor has a free shot, and that means the affected player is forgeted beyond belief

second it's not even like a curt like 'oh, i've been outmatched, forget' death. it's one of those stuffty boss battles deaths where you know you're dead because regardless of whether or not you survived the initial shot you're going to die because of stuff you literally cannot respond to anyway, and thus the entire span of time between 'getting killed' and 'actually dying' is a sudden frustrating swerve

why would you ever need this in the first place

Way to stuff on someone's idea.

A good reason for needing this is being a better substitute for 1 hit kill weapons-- at least you still have a small chance of doing something rather than just dying instantly. This doesn't have to be applied to just strong weapons, as this was just an idea. It doesn't have to make you completely useless but can still be some sort of a debuff. I don't think this is a bad idea but certainly should be revised a different way.

well first, no stuff i'm stuffting on this idea

obviously i really really really really don't like this forgetin idea

if someone gives me the opportunity to influence whether someone makes something even potentially more agonizing and less enjoyable then i am going to forgetin stop it from becoming more agonizing and less enjoyable

the game's difficulty already spikes the instant you get hit by a 50%+ damage weapon because getting shot again kills you and the other guy knows that and will capitalize on it, and now you've got to manage yourself in such a way that leaves literally no room for error because if you get shot again you've instantly lost the fight

like every scenario i can think of a debuff from taking too much damage would either change literally nothing (because the player can break line-of-sight and the combat with the aggressor by just ducking or weaving behind a really nearby wall or something) or just make everything worse and less fun for the target (in any other circumstance)

like, there are better ways to make deathmatches more lethal. the obvious one (and probably most efficient one) that comes to mind is 'just give everyone bigger guns'

second:

at least you still have a small chance of doing something rather than just dying instantly

no, that's not true

like for one there's the issue that blockland's combat system revolves almost entirely around seeing your target and the rest revolves dodging his bullets and if you can neither see the target or dodge his bullets you're basically done

but anyway as previously mentioned someone has totally tried doing a similar cripple-people-who-are-already-crippled thing in that doing more then half health damage to a target causes you to drop your forgetin gun wholesale

he has also gone on record saying that this design choice was literally 100% fueled by sadism, cause he finds it funny when people drop their gun and then have to take a second to pick it back up and then another second to lament the fact that he made such a ludicrously stupid flow-killing decision

hell even i did it with the smgs and lmgs in t+t with the most throwaway minor debuff ever (getting shot kills momentum, natascha style, but doesn't make you slower) and people still thought it was a bit much
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:24:31 AM by Bushido »