Author Topic: Issues with Linux VPS (again)  (Read 4019 times)

Post whether you get your server running.
I don't have it running yet, I made it to the key authentication though, which probably means it works
I am unable to put in my key at this time because I'm on data at school. I will post if it works later today.
Also, the directory was wrong in the script, I changed it to my home folder. I do however plan to move it to the script.

Also, the directory was wrong in the script, I changed it to my home folder. I do however plan to move it to the script.
That's just the default folder I set. You can put it wherever you want.

That's just the default folder I set. You can put it wherever you want.
I was not using your script setting this up in particular
Wine working with everything else on a first try is some big news for me, it never worked properly without messing with it
I'll move it to the script after, what does it have in particular?

when will the server be up and running anyway?

servers confirmed working with script, thanks for all the help

Didn't you tell me that Wine is stuff for servers?
no, I said arch was

I don't know how to say this kindly, so I'll just be blatant. You obviously know nothing about server environments or general linux IT if you think this.

no, I said arch was

I don't know how to say this kindly, so I'll just be blatant. You obviously know nothing about server environments or general linux IT if you think this.
Arch is bleeding edge though. Debian is known for it's legendary stability. (along with most things in its repos being super old) Wouldn't that mean Debian in most cases is a better choice for a server than Arch?

Arch is bleeding edge though. Debian is known for it's legendary stability. (along with most things in its repos being super old) Wouldn't that mean Debian in most cases is a better choice for a server than Arch?
only if you're a forgettard who upgrades stuff without knowing what you're doing

only if you're a forgettard who upgrades stuff without knowing what you're doing
Yeah I guess. But I think I'll stick with Debian on my server.

by that I meant not as stable
oh well, it works now

Arch is not "bleeding edge." Bleeding edge means the most recent possible update, regardless of stability. Arch keeps as up to date as possible with official, stable releases. Unless you edit pacman.conf and enable the community-testing repo, Arch will never update to a bleeding edge build of anything with pacman. The AUR may contain bleeding edge releases, but they are unofficially supported so they can hardly be considered part of Arch. This may break your current configuration, for example a lot of packages depend on builds of Python 2, but Pacman will download Python 3. This may be undesirable, in which case you can pass on the Python 3 build and download the python2 package. You won't be able to run both at once without some configuration, but it'd be the same way on Debian.