What is your stance on abortion? (Abortion discussion)

Author Topic: What is your stance on abortion? (Abortion discussion)  (Read 35251 times)

god sounds like a whiny little stuff

From the most objective standpoint, there really isn't much value to human life, or any life for that matter. But the reality is that we are humans, and in the general human culture, human life has value. Human life has value at some level, from conception until death. In the US culture, we also value freedom and the ability for an individual to make their own choices. These choices and the value of human life can conflict, however. Generally, it is agreed upon that the value of being able to choose to kill a human adult or child is worth less than the value of the ability for that child or adult to live. Also, it is generally agreed upon that the value for a human adult to be able to choose to terminate a recently conceived fetus is greater than the value of that fetus being able to continue to grow. Assuming the curves of value are continuous, we can infer that they must, at some point, intersect. As of now, this point of intersection varies from state to state, and can depend on the circumstances. Whatever the point of intersection may be, it is a reflection of the current culture of the humans in the region. Passing laws that disagree with the current culture of a locality will cause a suppression of ideas that will inevitably end up with a backlash. One of the largest benefits of freedom of expression is that it allows for people to change the human culture without passing strict laws that result in backlash. I believe that the only real way to make progress is to discuss ideas freely in a non-hostile or appropriately hostile manner. The modern trend of increasing civil rights and liberties can only be attributed to the ability of people to express their opinions openly. Passing new laws or changing old laws before a culture is ready can only cause struggle.

My views on abortion laws are that 3-6 months seems like a reasonable length of time to make a decision, and human life (or its potential) does need to be protected at some point. Of course there are many exceptions to any "rule." The firmness in my opinion not high. If an individual does not agree with me or the current laws, I believe that the best course of action is to try and change the culture and minds of society through the expression of their opinions in a reasonable manner.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:14:09 PM by Doomonkey »

I'm more concerned that Plant is just basing his entire argument around religion.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:20:17 PM by iAmburnJ »

Well let me come back with a related question.

Do you think it should be okay to euthanize your child post-birth because it has 12 toes, is deaf, has Down's that went undetected, or autism?

Its still a baby, and according to many of you, if it doesn't know better anyone can do anything to it.
well its hard to know for sure. there is no definable age at which the born fetus becomes an actual person. its random because we don't know when it starts to think of anything. that's why abortion is more on the topic at when the child in question is inside the mother, a fetus.

but if its still as dumb as a rock in terms of it not having an actual will to live or an interest in anything then yeah go ahead and put the thing out of its misery. unless you want to care for it and turn it into an actual person. the choice is yours.
its like ending the life of a fly. do you really care? theres plenty of them and there always will be. well obviously you do care because like I said its part of our weird moral compass. we show favoritism towards our species. we are not actually important but we like to think that we are and we always deny it being otherwise. and that is another problem on its own.

isn't wrath one of the 7 deadly sins
isn't sinning what god is completely against
religion pls explain

The seven deadly sins aren't even biblical

also, wtf are you guys on about when you think God needs to follow his own rules. That's just stupid.  

god sounds like a whiny little stuff

lol @ you

I do not support abortion being used to continue a promiscuous lifestyle.

Unjustified wrath, certainly is a sin.
Any kind of wrath is a sin, in what world would wrath be considered acceptable if it's so called 'justified'.
It's almost like the death penalty. No one in my opinion truly deserves to go through suffering justified or unjustified.
I thought as a catholic/Christian you need to see into your hearts to forgive. That's what my father at the church always said.

This in case you didn't see my first statement;
It's people like these that make me steer away from religion.
Hard core people like Planr here sicken me, especially when he feels that he has the right to call down on other people for not being religious deserves gods so called judgement and 'wrath'. What if she lived a 'sin free life'? Gave money and food the homeless, always considerate and always tolerant of everyone around her? But just because she doesn't totally fallow a belief means she deserves the full punishment of a painful death and damnation? All this does is scare people away from the religion rather then attract. To me, people who act this sort of way in their religion are not even the slightest bit of "holy", yet they find the are in a position to call down on people without even getting to know the personality of that person first.
        If I was I believed heavily in a religion like Planr does, I would never want to bash someone if they didn't fallow the religion accordingly. I find the best part of the bible is the saying, "love thy neighbour as thyself." It seems as a lot of people have forgotten of this passage and the true meaning of religion. I also hate the thought of people so heavily dedicating themselves in the religion that they forget about the bright side of life and see everyone as evil.

if they want to go through with it that's fine
if they don't that's fine too

It's murder and I completely oppose it. Plain and simple.
I've been waiting for you to enter this thread.

If you even studied your own religion, you'd know it doesn't count as a kid until a very specific point during pregnancy. All Jewish-based religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc) all have their own times set for when a fetus is implanted with a soul.

And even then, many accept abortion when the situation calls for it.

It would be a discussion if people would discuss rather than just posting:
There's no real opinions here, its just stuff ideology priding.
I apologize. We'd probably be better served if we had a poll and then comments were left to actual discussion.

I apologize. We'd probably be better served if we had a poll and then comments were left to actual discussion.
Probably, and don't apologize, you're fine. lol

I was just a bit frustrated.

B-but, the BIBLE and what GOD said!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting for you to enter this thread.

Christianity starts at conception.

Quote from: Psalm 139:13-16
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

B-but, the BIBLE and what GOD said!!!!!!!!

B-but, what medical scientists said!!!!

Yep, mature arguing.

I doubt very many people here participate in the making of laws.
Every single eligibly voter, and there are quite a bit here, has the potential to (indirectly) influence laws

I don't think it is really a matter of awareness. I'm 100% sure that a fetus develops a nervous system before travelling out the birth cbrown town and can thus feel pain. Many abortions are done because the mother simply doesn't want a baby; they are not all as innocent as you make them out to be.

It really isn't much different than a mother carrying full term, decides she doesn't like her newborn, and drowns it in a bathtub. The only difference is that an abortion is likely more painful to the fetus.
jesus forget
abortions aren't what you think they are

The majority of abortions are below eight weeks; at this stage, it's, by definition, not even a fetus, it's an embryo
the tiny percent at the very late stages are (almost) all stillbirths, extreme deformities that would make life impossible, etc. The thing is going to die very soon anyways, might as well mercy kill it and put it out of its pain
the morning after pill is a huge percentage of abortions. You can't even argue (at least not without appearing completely irrational) that the "baby" can feel pain at this stage, because it's literally nothing more than a lump of cells, I highly doubt you could even see it with the naked eye as this stage

ITT: mass ignorance fueled by religious/parental hysteria, and a sad lack of loveual education

Hey.  Hey guys.  Adoption is an option, too.