Author Topic: Game crashes when trying to start a server.  (Read 5782 times)

Console.log seems to indicate that it stops in the midst of loading Add-Ons for the server--it just stops at any random point.  I can post it if anyone seems concerned.

Okay so here's what I've been doing:

1.  On a MacBookPro, running Mavericks 10.9X.
2.  Run Blockland through Steam.
3.  Start a Game.
4.  Go through normal startup selections, no problems.  I am definitely under the datablock limit as I have minimal Add-Ons enabled for the server launch.
5.  Server loading screen shows up.
     a.  If Singleplayer, nothing pops up.
     b.  If Online Game, a dialogue box sows up up saying that Blockland needs to accept online permissions.  Select "Accept", and loading continues.*
6.  Loading bar continues through "Loading Add-Ons" and sometimes "Loading Music."
7.  Some time during those loads, Blockland crashes and shuts down.

*Note I already allowed this in the Security Preferences for both Steam and Blockland.

Looked at the console.log and found:

Many files when checked returned with "Cannot use this add-on in demo mode"

Returns in multiple cases of:
"Unable to open file 'config/server/musicList.cs for writing."
"Unable to open file 'config/server/ADD_ON_LIST.cs for writing."
"Unable to open file 'config/server/prefs.cs for writing." (This one mostly)

The last line is "Checking Add-On Event_add item"

Noedit.

In searching why it says "Unable to open[...]", I checked the file types, and while it says "filename.cs", and Apple info displays recognize .cs as an extension, the general info says " Kind: TextEdit Document".

Greek2me has a hacky fix for this, he said it on the Steam forums, let me see if I can't find it.

That didn't work, unfortunately.  Game did the same thing as last time.  The files also operated in the old directory /Documents/Blockland rather than operating in the steam directory.

Did a little research on the Mac application "TextEdit", which I use for opening the file currently.  It seems that with the release of Lion and later versions, TextEdit affected custom files (.cs, for example) to be saved as server.cs.rtf or server.rtf.cs or some annoying bullstuff.

Would anyone know where I could change the options so TextEdit doesn't open it.  I'm going to be testing the new function on TextWrangler, or whatever it is, which I've heard is free and has a proper "Save As" function.

I say get Sublime text, that's what I use.

Swat, text edit automatically opens in rich text mode. Press Shift+Cmd+T  to convert to plain text or back.
Use Smultron, it even has basic Torque support apart from being generally awesome.
Right click .cs file, go down and instead of text edit, select the application you want from the drop-down menu and then press the "Change All" button below the menu.

Thanks.  Also it looks like brick textures are broken on my server as well...

I'll take a look when I get home from school.

Tried TextWrangler.  It seemed to get further than before.

Weird errors are popping up though.

Oh dear..
First things first, clean up your add-ons folder. There is a absolute storm of broken, know bad and uncompatible add-ons.

ERROR: WebCom_PostServer() - mission is not running
BackTrace: ->ServerSettingsGui::clickLaunchGame->createServer->createMission->[Slayer_Dependencies_Brick]onMissionLoaded->[Slayer_Dependencies_Minigames]onMissionLoaded->onMissionLoaded->WebCom_PostServer

Oh dear, it appears that within one of your add-ons you have some game breaking code.

Oh dear, it appears that within one of your add-ons you have some game breaking code.

Oh dear, it appears that you have no idea what you're talking about. That happens every time you start a server.

Oh dear, any feedback Swat?