Author Topic: Some 3DS troubleshooting  (Read 827 times)

Hey guys since the new pokemon came out I decided to dust off the 3ds my sis been using.

The thing is not booting up. Putting in the charger only shows the led indicator for charging for about 3 seconds and then goes back off.
If I press the power button before the charging led turns off, the blue power led briefly blinks once for about 200 milliseconds and then proceeds to not do anything.

So I asked my sis about it and she said it took a while for it to load the menu hub thingy. The last time she used it was a few months ago in the summer.

So I look at the back of the thing and there's this:

I'm not exactly sure what those yellow things do and im also not sure if that gunk there is what's causing the problem.
If it is then it would be great if you could tell me how to clean it

otherwise, I was wondering if I should take off the screws and take a look inside. But after that I have really no idea what to do after that

The gunk is on the bits that power is transferred to when the 3DS is sitting on a charger stand.

I can't see why it would be causing the problem. Even if the gunk doesn't allow power to be transferred that way it should still be working fine if the adapter is plugged directly into the console.

My 3DS takes 5-10 seconds to power up, sometimes longer if I haven't used in it awhile. idk how that works
If you do decide to open it up, you can get a good tri-wing at this site. I think it uses tri-wings anyways, can't remember right now
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:00:31 AM by End »

also if it has not been charged in a long time it might be a good idea to just plop the charger in and wait a while before doing anything - it might not even have enough power to do anything

i have no idea what im talking about

The gunk is on the bits that power is transferred to when the 3DS is sitting on a charger stand.

-image-

I can't see why it would be causing the problem. Even if the gunk doesn't allow power to be transferred that way it should still be working fine if the adapter is plugged directly into the console.

My 3DS takes 5-10 seconds to power up, sometimes longer if I haven't used in it awhile. idk how that works
If you do decide to open it up, you can get a good tri-wing at this site. I think it uses tri-wings anyways, can't remember right now
the thing is is that i havent used that charger stand in forever, but
Even if the gunk doesn't allow power to be transferred that way it should still be working fine if the adapter is plugged directly into the console.

For now I'll just try and charge it over the night, but im not sure if it even doing anything since the led indicator is not on

Does the 3DS' speaker make any form of popping noise when you try to start it? If so, the 3DS is failing it's Power-On Self Test and shutting down. Common case of this is a flaky connection between the cameras and the mainboard. Opening it up and ensuring all ribbon cables are secure should do the trick if this is the case.

There is no sound at all

So after charging it overnight did nothing at all.
One thing I noticed was that with the charger plugged in if I pressed the power button multiple times the leds would flash for 100 milliseconds and then turn off.