"No Justice No Tree / #ShutItDown" in NYC (Eric Garner Protests)

Author Topic: "No Justice No Tree / #ShutItDown" in NYC (Eric Garner Protests)  (Read 11570 times)

he should be fired or suspended for not following the police policy. nothing else.

you know id ask why but im just

im so tired right now ill do this later
because it was not intentional. struggling during a chokehold makes it worse. resisting a chokehold makes it worse. this is not a sociopath running around killing random people. it was an accident through a (prohibited) control tactic. its excusable to a degree

you know id ask why but im just

im so tired right now ill do this later

I can answer from my own perspective. I think that the officer definitely did something wrong by using a chokehold. Whether it was an accident or not, he is at fault for the chokehold. The issue is that the officer had absolutely no intention of killing the guy, and that his death was a genuine accident and tragedy. I'm absolutely positive that he genuinely feels extreme guilt for it. You can't lock up every single person who causes a death by accident like that. Obviously those close to the victim blame him and want him to suffer, but when you look at it more objectively there's no reason outside of retribution to actually indict him. As Blockzilla said, he's not a serial killer. He had no malice or killing intent. Throwing him in jail isn't going to "teach him a lesson." It's not going to rehabilitate him, because there's nothing he needs to be rehabilitated for. The only reason to throw him in jail is so that the people who he (accidentally) hurt can get their pound of flesh. IMO, that's not a good reason to indict him.

However, he did violate a rule and it did cause someone to die. As Nonnel said, the NYPD should follow up with that rule violation and suspend him. It's pointless now though because he's already been forced into resignation for fear of a retribution killing by someone on the streets. It's actually a shame that this guys life is completely ruined because of ten seconds. It's also a shame that Mr. Garner's life was ended by those same ten seconds. Obviously Garner's tragedy is worse, but there's no need to pointlessly ruin another guys life because of it.