Animation 'steering' for other dimensions of control?

Author Topic: Animation 'steering' for other dimensions of control?  (Read 10728 times)

Normally, when animating a ground vehicle model, Torque 3d uses 'steering' as the name of the noncyclic animation that plays when steering left or right.  As far as I could find, there are no additional steering names for steering dimensions for air vehicles (which utilize pitch and roll, as well as the normal yaw that cars use).  Is it possible to create an animation such as 'steering' that relates directly with the motion of the mouse/whatever is used to roll or pitch, or do these already exist and I was just unable to find them?

[edit]

Let me elucidate:

Is it possible to convert longitudinal and latitudinal movement of the mouse into a non-cyclic animation, such as happens for mouse steering in a car?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:12:23 PM by Gen. Hothauser »

I know that it is possible to check if something is rotating at a specific direction and speed, and you can play an animation when that general direction is rotating. I personally do not know how to get the direction myself, though.

I know that it is possible to check if something is rotating at a specific direction and speed, and you can play an animation when that general direction is rotating. I personally do not know how to get the direction myself, though.

Okay, it's good to know that it exists.  Thanks.

I think my idea can be solved with strato's recent "proof of concept".

ive noticed that the wheels of the plane still more from left to right when flying, you can use that same steering animation for the back tail rudder or whatever its called, and for the wing rudders for rolling, i guess you could use playthread?

ive noticed that the wheels of the plane still more from left to right when flying, you can use that same steering animation for the back tail rudder or whatever its called, and for the wing rudders for rolling, i guess you could use playthread?

The issue is how do I detect if the player is rolling or pitching and if I can measure how much the player is rolling or pitching.

probably cant measure how much.  and idk exactly how you'd detect that sort of thing, do the left/right keys have any server sided functions you could parent to?

probably cant measure how much.  and idk exactly how you'd detect that sort of thing, do the left/right keys have any server sided functions you could parent to?

left/right keys aren't the issue.  That's already been done and I have code for it.  Mouse steering is what I'm trying to deal with.. I mean to say that yaw is already worked out, however the control method.  The hornet has rudder animations, and I can use that for my own purposes.  It's the other axes of rotation I don't have figured out.  And just fyi, because steering methods can be changed by the user, it would be better to refer to steering in terms of yaw/pitch/roll, instead of the actions the user carries out to perform the maneuver.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:08:09 AM by Gen. Hothauser »

oh ok, i never thought about that axis of movement... might require some loops, sorry i cant help any further.