I need an audio issue diagnosis for my laptop

Author Topic: I need an audio issue diagnosis for my laptop  (Read 609 times)

For this one, I disabled the device and ran a troubleshoot on it. Low audio volume is clearly not the issue.

So over the past few days, my sound didn't appear to be working. I didn't make a deal out of it for a while, because I don't use my sound all too often so I didn't sense anything was wrong. I decided to test it today by playing a song in WMP but I got this window. There is definitely something wrong with my sound.

Suggestions of what I can do? I probably need to post more details.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:43:39 PM by XR-7 »

Do you have a headset? If so, does it have it's own soundcard?

Items with their own soundcard will appear in this list like so:

If you don't, your soundcard on your motherboard might be faulty. I'd suggest:
  • Reboot your pc
  • Reinstall your drivers
  • Clean Windows (Use dualboot to be secure)
  • Buy a headset or use something else with it's own soundcard
  • Buy a new soundcard (or motherboard, if it gets to that)

If you do, the soundcard on your headset (or whatever) might be faulty. I'd suggest:

• Reboot your pc
  • Reinstall your headset drivers
  • Clean Windows (Use dualboot to be secure)
  • Buy a new headset or use something else with it's own soundcard

All in all, try playing your audio through other sources before you do my list above, and let me know if it plays though i.g your speakers, but not your headset, or vice versa
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:55:10 PM by ForgetLavender »

The computer itself is in less than good condition, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a soundcard issue. It is only the speakers as far as I know that aren't working. I could try a reboot first, but anytime that computer gets turned off, it 50% of the time freezes on a blue error screen, and more often, it stops supporting USB supported mice (the only ones I have).

I'm probably going to have my dad look at it before I try that though, since he's been the one dealing with the issues more than I have.

The computer itself is in less than good condition, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a soundcard issue. It is only the speakers as far as I know that aren't working. I could try a reboot first, but anytime that computer gets turned off, it 50% of the time freezes on a blue error screen, and more often, it stops supporting USB supported mice (the only ones I have).

I'm probably going to have my dad look at it before I try that though, since he's been the one dealing with the issues more than I have.

If I didn't just scavenge and sold the HDD and RAM out of an "old" laptop of mine, I'd given it to you for nothing but shipping costs.
Oh well, it sounds like you could need a new laptop. You can try asking around for one instead of buying a new one immediately. I don't know how many others there are like me, but I always have a spare laptop that I actually never use, and wouldn't mind giving to someone that needs it.

whenever my sound stops working, i close my browser and then mash the backspace key on skype until i hear it binging at me. that's worked fine for me for a while now.

I added some more screenshots to the OP as I continue to work with this.

If I didn't just scavenge and sold the HDD and RAM out of an "old" laptop of mine, I'd given it to you for nothing but shipping costs.
Oh well, it sounds like you could need a new laptop. You can try asking around for one instead of buying a new one immediately. I don't know how many others there are like me, but I always have a spare laptop that I actually never use, and wouldn't mind giving to someone that needs it.

I have an old desktop computer with a crashed hard drive that might have the soundcard inside. My brother may have taken it for his computer build though. On top of that, I don't know any details on it.

do you use a usb headset or one that uses the audio jack? because when my sound stops working it gives me error messages like those you posted

unplug all your audio thingies and play something
if still crash then check your audio card/cables
if that doesn't work then say your goodbyes to your audio card and bury it in the backyard

do you use a usb headset or one that uses the audio jack? because when my sound stops working it gives me error messages like those you posted

I don't use any headsets, except I'll occasionally use ear buds in the jack. I have 3 USB ports in use (two for fans, one for mouse), but none of them are used for sound.

As of now, my only options are to restart the computer and/or check the card. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

i for one dislike headphones that use usb ports and not a headphone jack port

i for one dislike headphones that use usb ports and not a headphone jack port
Depends if you have a good soundcard in your PC, actually.