Poll

why can't you remove polls????

This is just here because it has to be
0 (0%)
This too
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: BlockParty - upcoming website for managing and participating in Blockland clans  (Read 9043 times)

I'm pretty sure this thread is like two days from being too old, so I'm gonna bump it real quick
also I still haven't done anything lol
but I have been feeling like I want to. so who knows
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:21:52 AM by Foxscotch »

lol an new major version of django has been released since the last time I worked on this
I guess that's a good sign that I've waited too long

there don't seem to be any big incompatibilities between Django 1.7 and 1.8, but I'm gonna start over anyway
I'm kind of afraid my models from before were not that great, and since that's pretty much the only thing I did...
I'm going to try to get at least the basic models nice and finished today, and I'm gonna see how hard it is to extend the User model that the authentication module that comes with Django includes

also, as a side note, I'm going to move from Python 2.7 to Python 3.4
the differences between Python 2 and 3 aren't big enough to make any kind of delay at all, but apparently Python 3 makes it easier to use unicode strings, which would probably be helpful for web development
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:54:21 PM by Foxscotch »

http://clans.foxscotch.us/testauth/

1:53 AM - Foxscotch: type ur bl username into the text box and send
1:54 AM - Foxscotch: I have spent two days trying to get this to work
1:57 AM - Foxscotch: you give it your username, and then it sends your username and IP to a little tool badspot made, and if the username and IP match, badspot's thing send back "YES" then your ID, if they don't, it just sends back "NO"

P.S. the app itself has been working for a long time, ever since I posted about it in the first place
I've spent the last two days trying to get it functioning on my VPS specifically

a little bit more info. it doesn't save anything right now. like, once it gives you your result, it's gone. but later, this is going to be part of registration. you will have to supply a blockland username to register, and if it doesn't match your IP with badspot's thing, it's not gonna let you register with that username. but I'll probably make a little javascript thing on the registration page to check whether or not your IP matches before you hit submit for the entire form

also another edit: I'm not using python 3. apparently, the idea of switching from python 2 to 3 does not sit well with the operating system on my VPS, so I'm just gonna stick with 2 lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:20:31 AM by Foxscotch »

oh boy

I've been doing work stuff lately
cus i got a job
even in my free time after work I've been doing more stuff related to work
the good news about that is that it's django stuff. so whenever I finish the work thing, I'll have more experience with django, making it easier and quicker to do things with this ;3
but ya in the meantime I can't dedicate much time to this. sry
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:43:17 PM by Foxscotch »

what kind of logo do you want?

what kind of logo do you want?
I don't think I'm all that picky as long as it looks nice
but serious and formal probably wouldn't be a good fit

soooooo
I'm bored. I don't want to keep working on the thing for my job until my bosses actually make something resembling a decision about whether or not they could, possibly, want to use it. so in the meantime I'm gonna work on this

like I said, I'm going to be starting over
but I'm thinking about sorta... increasing the scope of it. rather than being solely for managing clans alone, there could be a lot more
like, maybe it shouldn't even be about clans specifically? I definitely want that to be a part of it, just because I've already put so much thought into it and how it will work, but I think this project could potentially be a lot more

I dunno. the problem with it not being about clans specifically is that I don't really know what else I'd put in there. the obvious choices are add-on and save hosting, but the thing about that is I don't think I can reasonably afford the bandwidth for that
maybe server info? give me ideas pls

in any case, I intend to have small forums for clans. each clan will have their own, accessible only to that clan's members. the keyword is small, probably just one section, where all of that clan's threads will be. or heck idk, maybe just one thread-like thing, comparable to what the clan thread on this forum would be
also private messages. be glad, hawt
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:23:24 AM by Foxscotch »

maybe drop the idea of clans and just say they're groups, it feels more general and easy that way

like a group of addon devs
or a group of builders
a group of eventers
or just friends that just wanna do stuff

maybe drop the idea of clans and just say they're groups, it feels more general and easy that way

or a group of builders
a group of eventers
this
you could try doing a mixed interface, something like half trello.com, half chatroom. and while you're at it, include an IRC system, because it would be boring af if there wasnt anyone else to talk to.

see the titanpad.com interface for what i mean. but instead of just private chat, also include functionality for a public irc channel where people can just chat n stuff.

or a group of builders
a group of eventers
hmm
that does sound like a good idea
but clans are relatively formal, which is different from something like steam groups
there are generally applications and entry requirements other than just requiring an invite, stuff like that

I like the idea of including everything that people want, as long as it's reasonable, though. and I do like your idea
so the two options I'm thinking of are having general groups, with modes. like a clan-like thing, or regular groups. maybe more than those two, but I can't think of anything at the moment
or, two distinct features, which are clans and groups. that would probably make some of the clan-specific features a lot easier to implement, but it would make it marginally more difficult to add new features that would be new "modes" with the other method. I'm probably going to go with this one, but if anyone has reasons not to, feel free to share
you could try doing a mixed interface, something like half trello.com, half chatroom. and while you're at it, include an IRC system, because it would be boring af if there wasnt anyone else to talk to.
that sounds kinda neat too, but I don't really want to run an IRC server on my VPS too. I'll think about it

so, now, instead of being just one clan site, it's going to be a blockland site with other apps... like, connected to it
like basically it starts with one basic site, which serves as a hub for other, more interesting and complex SUB-SITES
the first one is going to be something that manages the users. because... that's kind of important for every other app
after that comes clans, then a separate one for groups, and then who knows what
the point of setting it up this way is that it'll be a lot easier to add new things eventually. plus it keeps it nice and organized
(maybe the hub site will have chat or something idk)

anyway, I need a name for it! so far the only decent thing I've come up with is "Block Party" but both blockparty.net and blockparty.com are taken by squatters :(

also I'm gonna rewrite the OP soon cus it's outdated

maybe you could turn it into a bigger thing just for different clans for different games

and give stuff steamgroups doesnt have to offer

maybe you could turn it into a bigger thing just for different clans for different games
and give stuff steamgroups doesnt have to offer
I want it to be specific to blockland
I'll probably make the little sub-sites open-source, after they're made, though, so that other people could do similar things for whatever games they wanted