Flat or Progressive Income Tax?

Author Topic: Flat or Progressive Income Tax?  (Read 2874 times)

if you say "flat tax" youre either a rich starfish piece of stuff or completely uninformed and ignorant about how taxes work

This thread is priceless.

if you say "flat tax" youre either a rich starfish piece of stuff or completely uninformed and ignorant about how taxes work

The second possibility of your statement doesn't make any sense. The question isn't "Do we use a Flat or Progressive Income Tax?" so promoting a different tax system doesn't imply or express that you don't understand how a progressive tax system (i.e. the US Tax Code) works. Furthermore, wealth-shaming is disgusting. Being "rich" doesn't make you an starfish or a piece of stuff. You don't need to be Mormon and donate 98% of your income to charity to fend off the title of "rich starfish prick." Nobody is advocating for a static tax that everyone pays. Obviously in any tax system the rich are going to pay more taxes, that's why tax systems use percentages of income. Rich people earn more money, so even while the percentage is the same the raw amount of currency taxed from the rich is higher. It's plain unfair to tell people that their fair share of taxes is more just because they make more money. The government is a raging behemoth and shouldn't use nearly as much money as it does.

Look at how much of the pie is taken up by entitlement programs: more than 60%. More than 50% of all spending goes to medicare and health, social security, unemployment, and labor. Sixty percent of all of our spending goes to entitlement programs. Let that sink in. People are saying to cut military spending because it's so egregiously large; that's a meek 16% compared to entitlement programs. Not to mention, the interest on debt we pay is the fourth largest individual pie piece. We pay more on debt than we do on energy and environment, science, housing and community combined.

We straight up can't afford this. Progressive or flat tax system, we spend significantly more money than we make. To begin with Social Security needs to be tapered off and cut. It's terrible that we have to forget over people who've been paying into it their whole lives, but they really got forgeted over by poor legislation. As more of the baby boomers move into the age range for social security collection, the strain it puts on us increases. The program was instituted at a time where the ratio of old:young was lower. I have no personal gripes with unemployment, I'm not a crazy republican who claims that people don't get jobs because their unemployment check is good enough. I have gripes with medicare and health though, look how much loving money that costs. It's absurd. We could cut ALL transportation, food and agriculture, veterans benefits, education, housing and community, science, energy and environment, and international affairs and we'd free up less of the budget than cutting medicare and health. That's ridiculous. We can't afford it.

TL;DR: Cutting entitlement programs would decrease the amount of money the government needs to spend which would open us up to the possibilities of using a flat tax because a government that needs less money doesn't need to strangulate the upper end of the income of the wealthy just to survive.

I feel like a Flat tax might teach our Government to actually budget properly :y

bah nevermind stupid thought.

solution to debt crCIA: nuke all of china at once

then we don't owe any debt and there will be no war

As long as I get a heaping amount of money for tax refund i don't care.

Let's have the government just fund NASA. I'd be alright with that. Oh and I guess they should keep funding the state universities so I can keep working towards a degree. And I kinda need to travel so maybe throw in a transportation budget so I can keep using the buses and the roads to get from campus to my house. And I guess I want to be safe while I'm on this trip, so maybe keep paying police officers so they can patrol the stuff city that is Mesa, Arizona that I have to drive through. Though if we stop paying unemployment, places like Mesa will probably turn into anarchistic chaos centers and it won't be safe to drive through in my nice-ish car anyways, so probably keep unemployment around, that's always good. I'm sure we need a military for something, maybe to control the roving hoards of elderly who are no longer getting paid from the system they paid into their entire lives, so lets up the military budget. I suppose we should pay any veterans wounded by attacks from dentures and tennisball-canes... I suppose my little sister still needs an education, so perhaps keep funding education on a federal level since Arizona couldn't give two stuffs about giving money to schools. And I suppose we should probably pay regulatory agencies to continue making sure the air, water, food, drugs, electronics, buildings, vehicles, etc don't kill us. That probably sounds fair.

:)

*reviewed all of the pages*

Theory A: Nonnel is a rich 15 year old idiot.
Theory B: Nonnel is trolling.

on the topic of (unemployment) benefits:

Quote from: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/inequality-unemployment-benefits-and-pollution/
Why it matters: When the recession struck in 2008, Congress voted to extend unemployment benefits beyond the standard 27 weeks offered by most states. The program was gradually pared back during the recovery, and at the end of 2013, Congress allowed it to expire entirely. Many conservative economists said the program was doing more harm than good by providing the long-term jobless an incentive not to look as hard for work. Liberal economists were more skeptical, as was I; in an article last spring, I found little evidence that the end of emergency benefits was pushing the jobless back to work. But in this paper, the authors argue that conservatives were right and that the cutoff of benefits helps explain the surge in hiring in 2014. They use county-level data to show that places where the reduction in benefits was greatest also experienced the greatest job gains. They estimate that the policy change led to the creation of 1.8 million jobs in 2014, and that nearly 1 million of those jobs were filled by workers who otherwise would have stayed out of the labor market.

turns out cutting unemployment benefits and the like saves us money AND creates more jobs. who knew.

on the topic of (unemployment) benefits:

turns out cutting unemployment benefits and the like saves us money AND creates more jobs. who knew.
1. That's not at all what the quote even said.
2. Just because people argue a point doesn't make it fact, bud.

i say we do a regressive tax; gotta get that trickle down econ going