Flat or Progressive Income Tax?

Author Topic: Flat or Progressive Income Tax?  (Read 2800 times)

Do you support a flat or progressive income tax? I personally favor flat.

*goes to google*
i'll be back in a bit

edit: i'm not really sure now, flat seems nice but so does progressive
double-edit: flat is better
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:03:50 PM by ßlöükfáce »

Well considering progressive income tax ranges from tolerable to disgusting I don't know that this question is very fair.

Flat makes sense to me. Progressive and the "ability to pay" makes sense too but higher incomes would be paying more with a flat tax anyway.

A plain, perfect Flat tax would put the burden on the middle and lower classes, but progressive is too abusive and is generally worse; it is just simply more open to corrupt politicians to forget everyone in the ass.

Anyways, the Flat tax system, if the US went to it now, would break everything and we would go in deeper debt.
We'd have to raise the taxes anyway if we want to cover what we get now; more taxes for the poor.
:(

no income tax
and where do you think the government will get its money from
sales tax? property tax?
bah!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:09:46 PM by Swat 3 »

A plain, perfect Flat tax would put the burden on the middle and lower classes, but progressive is too abusive and is generally worse; it is just simply more open to corrupt politicians to forget everyone in the ass.
sales tax? property tax?
bah!
Income tax was established in the early 20th Century. Obviously we had a smaller government, but that's the perspective of the people who want no income tax. They believe that with a smaller government we could once again become the great nation we were in the 1800s. :P

sales tax? property tax?
bah!
they don't need money

I think progressive would be better.

progressive, even though thats really vague

I don't know much about the specifics of the mechanics of governments, but what I've gathered from the posts in this thread is that progressive changes with the actual amount of income and flat doesn't. I personally don't really see what's wrong with flat, assuming it is what I think it is. If it's the same percentage for everyone, then it's automatically gonna scale with the amount of money they make. So why increase it even more for rich people? Don't get me wrong, I don't like rich people any more than the next guy, but still.

they don't need money

They need money.
(well it's not like we are actually going to pay it off lol).

We also need money for education, public works, our military.

progressive because i'm a liberal hippie

We also need money for education, public works, our military.
privatization