Author Topic: marriage equality in alabama  (Read 4117 times)

it's happening/happened/p much here

any related news could be found here:
http://topics.al.com/tag/Gay%20marriage%20/posts.html

two cases have been won and the ban has been declared unconstitutional. obv appeals and such are going on, but they seem unlikely to succeed. it's pretty possible that more people will soon be treated like human beings in alabama, which is super-cool

i know there are several other alabama forumers so i figured i'd share this

clarification:
This thread is technically wrong. The overturning of the ban has been stayed until Febuary 9.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:06:20 PM by otto-san »

isn't alabama in the bible belt and full of conservatives?

depends on the area, but yeah. central alabama tends to be more developed and populous, same with some areas on the gulf of mexico or around huntsville.

i lived in a super-backwards area in southern alabama for three years and jesus christ wow. it was bad enough to where only in the relatively recent past has the methodist church not kept a shotgun to keep black people out lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:29:20 PM by otto-san »

evil evi eeeviilll conservatiiives hissss

huzzah for people not being richards

evil evi eeeviilll conservatiiives hissss
ya goes the same the other way around tho

i tend to stay out of family discussions on these kinds of issues

yet more federal courts legislating. yaaay.

before anyone rips their weewee off pls consider the consequences i mean it's really nice to have a weewee

yet more federal courts legislating. yaaay.
which part about it is goofy? i guess the fact that they aren't elected by the people? this ruling was based upon existing cases, laws, and the Constitution like the judicial system is supposed to do. wats on ur mind sport we cn hav a nise ol conversation about this her situation
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:43:22 PM by otto-san »

before anyone rips their weewee off pls consider the consequences i mean it's really nice to have a weewee
which part about it is goofy? i guess the fact that they aren't elected by the people? this ruling was based upon existing cases, laws, and the Constitution like the judicial system is supposed to do. wats on ur mind sport we cn hav a nise ol conversation about this her situation
isn't kearn the capitalist/conservative who hates government or smth

idk but he has thoughts like anyone else and as long as he's willing to have a meaningful discussion (along with anyone else involved) everyone can profit from it

the courts don't have the power to legislate, but for some reason after 200 years gay marriage is suddenly constitutionally protected

I wonder which states are left?

well just like how slavery wasn't considered illegal right away, banning gay marriage wasn't either. the founding fathers knew that times would change, and that government would need to change with it. the interpretation of the Constitution is thus expanded and changed and the document itself modified and new laws added and removed or amended to change as human need changes. the supreme court is ruling on evolving interpretation of the Constitution.