Author Topic: My English professor really screwed my afternoon... [click for rant]  (Read 464 times)

"It only happens to me," I tell myself, regardless of whether or not it's true.

My English class was apparently cancelled and I'm already here, stuck without a ride, and I have nothing to blame other than every single bad thing that has to do with life. My mom drove me to my college class, which is about a 20 minute drive one way from my house. I walked into my classroom to see four other members of my class. It did strike me as odd that more people weren't there, but I was 8 minutes early so I figured that I would wait while more people show up.

I turned on the computer at my table just to mess around while I waited. I stopped thinking about the fact that not many people were in there until I overheard two of them talking about a message from the professor in their school emails. Out of curiosity, I logged into my school email only to see this message, "2/9 - Class Cancelled". Everyone in the room just got up and left. Crud.

I remembered that I had just looked at my email that morning at my high school. It would've been at about 7:20 this morning. I looked at the date sent on cancellation notice and it says 7:40. I started to hit myself for not checking my email, but then remembered that I couldn't have because the college website doesn't have mobile access (so I couldn't have even checked at the high school), so I would've had no way of knowing.

But why didn't I call my mom to turn around and pick me up again? She doesn't have her phone because it's being used as an internet hotspot for my siblings at home. If we had internet access from home, it wouldn't have been an issue.

None of this would happen if I had a job and a car either. But since no one within 20 miles of me is even willing to accept an interview with me, I'm screwed in that department too.

So basically, my parents think I'm in class and I have to wait until my dad is off work (probably around the time of this post), has run his errands, and comes to pick me up. Being a 40 mile drive, that will also take a while.

Now hopefully, my parents aren't going to "magically" discover this post *hint hint*

So it's all a long series of unfortunate events compiled together to create a massive snowballing problem.

why not call the phone being used as an internet hotspot and see if anyone's there to pick it up

why not call the phone being used as an internet hotspot and see if anyone's there to pick it up

Nobody is there who is capable of doing anything helpful. My mom is unreachable and my dad is either at work (where he doesn't usually have his phone due to working with supermagnets) or driving.

Wanna know something funny? Something similiar happened to me today.

I got the bus as usual and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the school. I notice the turn was missed and I asked what the deal was and he said he apparently doesn't go into the school, even though I had a pass like others. So I had to get off at the next stop, being dumb I don't usually carry a phone around and as soon as I got off the bus I realised I had no idea where the school was.

I was stuck in the middle of town, no way to contact anyone or get to school and to top it off I'm pretty ill. I ended up walking a mile to a person I knows house and they aren't in. It was 9:00am at this point and I was nearly crying because my mother would have been worried about me since the school sends a text out of you don't turn up. I then walk into the dentist figuring they are the only people who have my phone number and are active right now and ask them to call the school to get my mothers number, after all of this I ring for a solid 5 minutes and she didn't pick up. She was sleeping.

Eventually with no one except the school to phone I had to ask them to phone and come get me, I was an hour late. My mother didn't know of this until I got home and got pretty loving mad at everything, I was dumb to not take my phone and dumb to get off at the bus stop, but that doesn't loving excuse the fact this bus driver didn't tell me the bus doesn't drop me off at the school before, even when showing him my pass which said to take me to the school, it was the ordinary bus just a different driver. My mother, if she had known at the time, would have been worried like hell and worried that I would get run over or kidnapped.

OP, tell your family members to get their stuff together to avoid you being helpless like this, as rude as it sounds it's not nice being stranded.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:29:56 PM by Maxwell. »

I turned on the computer at my table just to mess around while I waited.
Play a game.

You definitely had it way worse than me. I had an issue with my bus driver last year. I was worried as all heck that she would drive past my house when dropping me off. I couldn't stand up to point it out because I was sitting near the back. Sure enough, she went right on past my house. I started to stand up to say something but formulated a different idea. I just decided that I would get off at the next stop and backtrack up the road to my house (maybe 1/2 mile walk, no problem). As I started to go down the steps to freedom, she's like, "WHOA WHOA WHOA WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE ARE YOU GOING?"

"Uhhhhhh you drove past my house and I'm 16 years old so I can walk back myself."

"Nope I can't let you do that. Get back in here and sit down and I'll drive around when I drop everyone else off."

Well okay. My parents weren't home and I had a house key so whatever. But when she dropped off the last person, she just kept going. I'm like, "Uh hey...where are you going?" She then freaking tells me that she is going to pick up the kids from the elementary school three miles away, run that entire route, and THEN drop me off. I sat in that hot parked bus for what seemed like ages, got swarmed by little kids, and finally got back home. I was about an hour and a half late getting home, but no one ever found out.

Play a game.

I used it to type that post. I'm just sitting in the library with Mountain Dew right now.

You definitely had it way worse than me. I had an issue with my bus driver last year. I was worried as all heck that she would drive past my house when dropping me off. I couldn't stand up to point it out because I was sitting near the back. Sure enough, she went right on past my house. I started to stand up to say something but formulated a different idea. I just decided that I would get off at the next stop and backtrack up the road to my house (maybe 1/2 mile walk, no problem). As I started to go down the steps to freedom, she's like, "WHOA WHOA WHOA WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE ARE YOU GOING?"

"Uhhhhhh you drove past my house and I'm 16 years old so I can walk back myself."

"Nope I can't let you do that. Get back in here and sit down and I'll drive around when I drop everyone else off."

Well okay. My parents weren't home and I had a house key so whatever. But when she dropped off the last person, she just kept going. I'm like, "Uh hey...where are you going?" She then freaking tells me that she is going to pick up the kids from the elementary school three miles away, run that entire route, and THEN drop me off. I sat in that hot parked bus for what seemed like ages, got swarmed by little kids, and finally got back home. I was about an hour and a half late getting home, but no one ever found out.

I used it to type that post. I'm just sitting in the library with Mountain Dew right now.
Wow lol, different worlds you and I live in. When I took the bus in the beginning of high school, the bus drivers stopped at pre-determined stops and they usually didn't care where you got off.

Wow lol, different worlds you and I live in. When I took the bus in the beginning of high school, the bus drivers stopped at pre-determined stops and they usually didn't care where you got off.

I was taken aback when she had an attitude about it. I can understand not letting an elementary or even a junior high kid off the bus, but I think a high school student would be responsible enough to walk about 1/2 mile on a low traffic road.

If it were to happen again today (and it won't, because I don't take the bus home anymore), she legally would not be able to force me to ride the bus, since I'm technically an adult.