Author Topic: I have an urge to try and suggest things for a server too much  (Read 1145 times)

Thing is sometimes I just find like everything wrong with a(usually shooting type) server and explain it. I want to help the server but most of the time people just ignore me or shoot down my ideas bc I suggest way too much or something. I do apologize and say ik it's your server and stuff but I do have more experience (if I do) and I'm just trying to help and (sometimes) someone keeps being an ass to me in some way when I ever talk about anything after then.

I don't do it all the time but it's been happening recently-ish. I'm a critic with other things sometime too, idk if I've just started to become more annoyed with things that have potential or something but it's starting to become a bit of a burden. For example a racing game I have had a mod or something but it got rid of the laps, and in my head I kept going "augh if this had laps this would be perfect" forever. (I forgot what game it was, it was quite a while ago)

It's kinda difficult to stop since I'm that kinda guy who wants to help people, and gets mad if someone replies back to me negatively and saying "jesus sorry I'm just trying to help".

Buuuut I'll try and stop, I understand why it annoys them if I do this and I'll try to quit doing this.

Just needed to say something, it's been bothering me for forever. Ignore this if you wanna.

tl;dr: I'm a critic by mistake but I'll try to stop
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:07:44 PM by gr8dayseth »

Giving criticism isn't really a bad thing especially if you're not using it as an insult and such.

It is good philosophy to think that it is yourself who has the problem and to not assume it's everyone else with the problem. However some people are actual starfishs and do have a problem, you happen to not really be an starfish You don't have a problem and shouldn't have to change, after-all it is constructive criticism you are giving.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:47:33 PM by Kamutog »

Giving criticism isn't really a bad thing especially if you're not using it as an insult and such.

It is good philosophy to think that it is yourself who has the problem and to not assume it's everyone else with the problem. However some people are actual starfishs and do have a problem, you happen to not really be an starfish You don't have a problem and shouldn't have to change, after-all it is constructive criticism you are giving.
This.

Thanks, I always thought that constructive criticism was, ya know, a good thing to hand out to make something better. Just not in a mean sorta way. Problem is a ton of people just think you are blatantly bashing on something when you do that, when really you are trying to help them. And some of them are just plain stubborn and don't really want to change anything no matter what it is.
But I guess we can't change that.

I do apologize and say ik it's your server and stuff but I do have more experience (if I do) and I'm just trying to help and (sometimes)
Personally, this is what I'd get annoyed about. You don't need to apologize and make excuses, that makes it awkward (unless they asked why you were trying to give them advice, I guess). I'd rather you just tell me that you think something would be a good idea. And I'd be especially annoyed with the part about having more experience. It's condescending, whether it's true or not.
It is good philosophy to think that it is yourself who has the problem and to not assume it's everyone else with the problem.
No way.

Personally, this is what I'd get annoyed about. You don't need to apologize and make excuses, that makes it awkward (unless they asked why you were trying to give them advice, I guess). I'd rather you just tell me that you think something would be a good idea. And I'd be especially annoyed with the part about having more experience. It's condescending, whether it's true or not.
Both are good points, I didn't think about the experience thing being condescending, but yeah now that I think about it I'd be annoyed if someone said that to me too.

I was on the randomizer with you earlier I think what you were doing was with an innocent intention but you shouldn't come out with a condescending demeanor in thinking your ideas are right and what the server has is "wrong" it's all opinion. Anyways, if the host can't take constructive criticism then they're a bad host.

but you shouldn't come out with a condescending demeanor in thinking your ideas are right and what the server has is "wrong" it's all opinion.
True, I did think I came off as a tad harsh but I didn't look back on it so I'm not sure. But yes in the end it's just opinions if they're good choices or not.

Also I just realized I'm getting constructive criticism for giving people constructive criticism. Interesting.

i've been doing this toooooooooo much

got banned for doing it a in a not-so-rude way