Author Topic: Computer power supply  (Read 1101 times)

So I ordered parts for my PC and everything came EXCEPT the power supply...

I have one in my old desktop, would it matter if you just take an older power supply and stick it into a new one?

---

Any of you recommend a good battery backup?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:43:27 PM by snk13 »

Depends on what W it runs and what specs you got. But I assume 450W is enough for tops highlow builds
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:40:14 PM by ForgetLavender »

If it supplies enough power and had enough of the right connectorss, then yeah

As long as you're getting the minimum watts you need you should be fine. I've been using a 750W one for years which is totally overkill but I've never had any problems with it.

The only way you can check it is good is by checking the voltage wattage of all the components. Then, check how many volts watts your PSU has. If the wattage of the components is equal to or lower than the wattage on the PSU, it should be good.
If not, go to the geek squad or something (reference to a post I made a long time ago).

The only way you can check it is good is by checking the voltage wattage of all the components. Then, check how many volts watts your PSU has. If the wattage of the components is equal to or lower than the wattage on the PSU, it should be good.
If not, go to the geek squad or something (reference to a post I made a long time ago).

Or he could just post the wattage and his GPU/CPU here and one of us would probably be able to tell him if it's enough

No your computer will blow up because i said so.

No your computer will blow up because i said so.
no you'll blow up because I said so.
OT: do what everyone else says, check wattage, if its lower, your good.

how to check;
plug in power supply into wall (doesnt need to be in computer)
now try to put your tongue against every connector (dont worry it will only shock you a bit as the saliva absorbs electricity)
if you get zapped (just a bit, dont be a pusillanimous individual) then it will work
if you dont get zapped that means it will not work and you can risk getting viruses

Sherlock, you forgot that modern PSUs don't supply power without having a certain pin grounded.

Review your specs and power requirements on your parts first. Then buy one according to the requirements.

what is the wattage of this power supply?

Post your full system specs, as well as a photo of the old PSU's wattage label.

Older PSU's tend to be less efficient and not have the right cables for newer parts.

I think just for the sake of having a new one as well as one with newer cables/wires/thingies.

But if it's like post 2008 PSU it would be fine.
I guess.
but know your watts.