Poll

Who would win?

STAG
Blackwatch

Author Topic: STAG VS Blackwatch (Saints Row 3 vs Prototype 2)  (Read 4671 times)

I must remind people supporting STAG; their leadership is and will always be made up of loving mental cases. They cannot coordinate a successful offensive for stuff, and they do even worse during the defence.

The only things they have are numbers and tech, but the former go down like flies and the later isn't being used to its best.
if you've played saints row: the third, you might've noticed the fact that the player character can be upgraded to loving ridiculous extents.
immortality? sure.  infinite ammo? alright.  infinite sprint speed? cool.  homie being extremely hard to kill? yeah okay.  exploding powerfists? knock yourself out.

you're judging a group of totally-not-space-marines based solely on their performance against overpowered mary sues with plot armor. i'm not saying i'm just saying
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:22:53 AM by Cybertails1998 »

if you've played saints row: the third, you might've noticed the fact that the player character can be upgraded to loving ridiculous extents.
You will not take ANY damage from bullets.
You will not take ANY damage from explosions.
You will not take ANY damage from falling.

In SR3 I never gave myself immortality, it just makes the game much less fun.

immortality? sure.  infinite ammo? alright.  infinite sprint speed? cool.  homie being extremely hard to kill? yeah okay.  exploding powerfists? knock yourself out.
Because gameplay always == story.

It's a massive case of game and story segregation. Those upgrades aren't really happening for The Boss, but as the player you get them for progressing through gameplay.

Those upgrades aren't really happening for The Boss
"Things that happen during a video game aren't really happening in that video game because they undermine my argument."
~McJob, 2015
I could just as easily say that Alex Mercer never actually gets upgrades and it would sound just as stupid as what you just said.

HECU is a better organization.

"Things that happen during a video game aren't really happening in that video game because they undermine my argument."
~McJob, 2015
I could just as easily say that Alex Mercer never actually gets upgrades and it would sound just as stupid as what you just said.
Gameplay elements =/= Story Elements

There is such a thing as gameplay and story segregation. Maybe you should do a little research next time. Either way, the point I'm making is that even though we, the player get those upgrades, they don't necessarily translate to the character themselves being immune to bullets or fire unless the story itself points this out.

The story doesn't at all say that the characters of SR3 are invincible to everything, a fact pointed out by the death of a main character in the prologue. We, the player, have the advantage of being invincible during gameplay elements, but within the game's own story canon, The Boss and his/her minions are just as human as everybody else on the streets, baring the fact they have enough experience to justify them staying alive (as well as the fact the story would suck if your character dies early).

Please don't say I'm saying one thing when I'm clearly saying another thing, and you're too stupid to understand what exactly I said.

There is such a thing as gameplay and story segregation.

Hey forgettard. He isn't saying that gameplay and story segregation aren't a thing. He's saying your argument doesn't apply to Third Street of Three Holy Man because the boss is never ever in a situation where there is sufficient gameplay and story segregation to be able to say that it's entirely different. The boss isn't necessarily invincible, however the munitions, armaments, abilities, and ludicrous amounts of bullstuff the Saints can pull, both in gameplay and story exist and are connected enough to not be considered massive gameplay/story segregation. This isn't like a case in Valkyria Chronicles or some stuff where you can run a scout behind a tank and give them an order to shoot out a radiator and destroy it instantly, then have that same scout get shot in a cutscene and be knocked unconscious for three days.

Maybe you should do a little research next time.

TVTropes. Quaint.

The story doesn't at all say that the characters of SR3 are invincible to everything, a fact pointed out by the death of a main character in the prologue. He doesn't die. We, the player, have the advantage of being invincible during gameplay elements, but within the game's own story canon, The Boss and his/her minions are just as human as everybody else on the streets, No they are not, and the characters are pretty much loving aware of this. From 3 onwards the mortality of their situations has become entirely irrelevant. baring the fact they have enough experience to justify them staying alive (as well as the fact the story would suck if your character dies early).

There is such a thing as gameplay and story segregation. Maybe you should do a little research next time. Either way, the point I'm making is that even though we, the player get those upgrades, they don't necessarily translate to the character themselves being immune to bullets or fire unless the story itself points this out.

The story doesn't at all say that the characters of SR3 are invincible to everything, a fact pointed out by the death of a main character in the prologue. We, the player, have the advantage of being invincible during gameplay elements, but within the game's own story canon, The Boss and his/her minions are just as human as everybody else on the streets, baring the fact they have enough experience to justify them staying alive (as well as the fact the story would suck if your character dies early).

Please don't say I'm saying one thing when I'm clearly saying another thing, and you're too stupid to understand what exactly I said.
On the flipside, there's no evidence at all that the protagonist does not actually have these abilities. They don't extend to other characters and the boss is never shown by the story to actually be injured by these things, so with only the gameplay to go on, it's safe to say their invincibility is canon. If you call that out for being unrealistic I will make fun of you.

The story doesn't at all say that the characters of SR3 are invincible to everything, a fact pointed out by the death of a main character in the prologue.
Maybe you should do a little of your own research on the actual game you're talking about. Maybe you'd have found out that Gat didn't die.

But within the game's own story canon, The Boss and his/her minions are just as human as everybody else on the streets, baring the fact they have enough experience to justify them staying alive.
The characters in Saints Row from 3 onwards, ESPECIALLY Gat and the Boss, are well aware of the fact that they are utterly invincible based on the ludicrously insane actions that they take at every single turn. It WOULD be mere psychopathic delusions if they weren't actually 100% as ridiculous as they hype themselves up to be. Please actually play the game before you say such uneducated things.

But it is the same thing. Alex Mercer doesn't get upgrades, that's just gameplay. Just like the boss doesn't actually get better guns, physical conditioning, body armor, and ammo capacity. All that stuff is COMPLETELY ridiculous and has absolutely no justification in the story. Like, why the hell would a gang leader trying to take on a hyperadvanced paramilitary army have any story motivation to invest in anything that could help him/her fight better, right? That's just silly.

Hey forgettard. He isn't saying that gameplay and story segregation aren't a thing. He's saying your argument doesn't apply to Third Street of Three Holy Man because the boss is never ever in a situation where there is sufficient gameplay and story segregation to be able to say that it's entirely different.
lol.

Did you watch the cutscenes? Why does the boss hide behind cover, and generally panic whenever there is something really life-threatening about to happen?

Saint's Row 3 is a bad example anyway because you have minigames like Insurance Fraud and Heli Assault. They don't make a lick of sense within the story logic, yet they make total sense as far as gameplay. Not for once did I ever believe that the gameplay = the actual story the characters experience.

The boss isn't necessarily invincible, however the munitions, armaments, abilities, and ludicrous amounts of bullstuff the Saints can pull, both in gameplay and story exist and are connected enough to not be considered massive gameplay/story segregation.
The story justifies the Saint's acquiring all of their weapons, vehicles and properties. The abilities such as invincibility are never justified and never showcased in any story-based element.

This isn't like a case in Valkyria Chronicles or some stuff where you can run a scout behind a tank and give them an order to shoot out a radiator and destroy it instantly, then have that same scout get shot in a cutscene and be knocked unconscious for three days.
And yet in one of the early cutscenes, The Boss is taken by about 6 police officers when in gameplay I probably could have levelled them all with barely a scratch.

Maybe you should do a little of your own research on the actual game you're talking about. Maybe you'd have found out that Gat didn't die.
Can you forget off and not spoil SR4? Some of us have only played 2 and 3 and are going off those specific examples. I already said earlier in the thread I've only played 2 and 3 and basing my entire experience off those two games.

The characters in Saints Row from 3 onwards, ESPECIALLY Gat and the Boss, are well aware of the fact that they are utterly invincible based on the ludicrously insane actions that they take at every single turn. It WOULD be mere psychopathic delusions if they weren't actually 100% as ridiculous as they hype themselves up to be. Please actually play the game before you say such uneducated things.
"uneducated"

I always took it as them simply wanting to have fun in the moment. They're thrill-seekers and they don't care when or where they die; they do whatever they think is loving awesome.

But it is the same thing. Alex Mercer doesn't get upgrades, that's just gameplay. Just like the boss doesn't actually get better guns, physical conditioning, body armor, and ammo capacity. All that stuff is COMPLETELY ridiculous and has absolutely no justification in the story. Like, why the hell would a gang leader trying to take on a hyperadvanced paramilitary army have any story motivation to invest in anything that could help him/her fight better, right? That's just silly.
In Prototype, you can physically see that Alex Mercer has some weird alien stuff going on and I'm sure the game does at least some explaining about his biological situation, which makes logical sense for the upgrades to happen.

There is no logical sense for a normal (biologically) human like The Boss to gain invincibility unless there was some kind of reasoning, like gaining super-powers in the DLC because we drunk some of that special soda stuff.

The Boss does invest in doing things to better their position in the story. They steal the air missile launcher thing, take away bases and attack important leader characters, sabotage various operations and so forth. That stuff is justified.

--

Clearly I'm the idiot here, so I'll just go ahead and stop talking since nobody actually wants to take on-board what I'm saying and instead want to believe that gameplay is always exactly the same as story.

Can you forget off and not spoil SR4?
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but Volition did sort of beat me to it when they released a game two months ago set after 4 where Gat is a playable character.

Saint's Row 3 is a bad example anyway because you have minigames like Insurance Fraud and Heli Assault. They don't make a lick of sense within the story logic, yet they make total sense as far as gameplay.
No, they just don't make sense in the rules you've made up that apply to the protagonist because you say so.
The story justifies the Saint's acquiring all of their weapons, vehicles and properties. The abilities such as invincibility are never justified and never showcased in any story-based element.
The boss got the money, pulled out their phone, and bought the upgrade. There is nothing in the story that would dispute this.
And yet in one of the early cutscenes, The Boss is taken by about 6 police officers when in gameplay I probably could have levelled them all with barely a scratch.
They didn't have the upgrade yet.
There is no logical sense for a normal (biologically) human like The Boss to gain invincibility unless there was some kind of reasoning, like gaining super-powers in the DLC because we drunk some of that special soda stuff.
Then maybe the phone thing is just an abstraction for buying some invincibility soda. Real life rules don't apply in Saints Row 3, and you are silly for asserting that they do.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but Volition did sort of beat me to it when they released a game two months ago set after 4 where Gat is a playable character.
Not having played 4 yet I just assumed it was more weird stuff and when gat got killed he got sent to hell