Author Topic: Discussion on space travel.  (Read 1973 times)

Before I begin, I'd like to point out a few things, ever since I was a kid I've loved everything space. The concept of finding new planets, intergalactic wars, aliens, new flora and fauna. All of it is so mind boggling, just take a moment and look up. Look at what's out there, its fascinating that there is so much, yet so much of it is ignored. Yeah we have space stations and telescopes, but its not good enough. I watched the movie interstellar and it truly kept me on my seat, that's how good of a movie it was, I wasn't in a movie theater, no, I was in a shuttle. A shuttle heading to vast new worlds for exploration. As I walked out of that theater I took a moment and just looked up. Empty space, stars, the moon it was all there. Its so close yet so far away, and that's what I hate the most. Being born in this time period, its not likely that me, you, or anyone will get the chance to actually go to any other planet than mars. I've read reports about an "impossible engine" that might actually work. Read articles about an experimental FTL drive that could get us out of the milky way in matter of weeks. Most of the rumors are false, and that's what sickens me. Im worked up over nothing now. It all so seems so easy in theory, but when put out its just too hard. Were we not meant to leave this planet? What if the time calls for it. My chemistry professor's father used to work at a portion for NASA, he would take the big telescope and look for objects or anything heading for earth. In 2026 we're supposed to be on the lookout for a potentially huge asteroid that might collide with earth. Big enough to wipe a good chunk of country out, or causing total human extinction. That's what scares me, that we don't take a moment and just ask our selves "what if". WHAT IF! WE TRIED, DEVOTED OUR TIME AND MONEY INTO SOMETHING IMPOSSIBLE, AND IT SO HAPPENS TO WORK? NO ONE SEEMS TO GET THAT, THROUGHOUT OUR EVOLUTION, WE WERE, NO, WE STILL ARE PIONEERS, LOOKING FOR NEW WAYS TO EXPLORE. What makes us stop at earth? Why would we just stop at earth. No matter who I talk about this to, I just get the same "your delusional, that's all sci-fi junk." Im so sick and tired of the same "its never going to happen" or "its impossible" niche everyone's completely accepted. They don't seem to notice that this, "impossible engine" can get people to mars in weeks instead of months or even years! It puts a hole in my heart knowing people would shoot down the idea of interstellar travel, when the bi-plane of technology is right in front of them. Yeah, it might be just a short step forward, but with experiments they're sure to find a way.

I just think its silly that we've stopped being us, the explorers. And if we're truly alone in the universe, then what's stopping us from going out and striving for it. Looking up in the sky and saying, "One day, I'll walk on that planet".

With that, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on space travel, or colonization on another planet relatively close. Because lets be honest, we all can't live on this rock forever.

absolutely space travel is loving necessary.
think about how much technology we got out of the apollo program.
now think about how much we'll get out of a program to land on mars and get back safely.

I'm all for space travel, I was thinking maybe a mining facility on the moon for resources, this is why I want to be an aeronautical engineer as well

No matter who I talk about this to, I just get the same "your delusional, that's all sci-fi junk." Im so sick and tired of the same "its never going to happen" or "its impossible" niche everyone's completely accepted. They don't seem to notice that this, "impossible engine" can get people to mars in weeks instead of months or even years! It puts a hole in my heart knowing people would shoot down the idea of interstellar travel, when the bi-plane of technology is right in front of them. Yeah, it might be just a short step forward, but with experiments they're sure to find a way.
I'll post more on my own opinions and aspirations of space tomorrow, but I'd like to suggest you find different people to talk to. There's millions of people that share your view on space travel, and they're just as enthusiastic, if not more, about the idea of humanity reaching past our home and into the stars. Honestly, if you're looking for some news and articles on what's going on in space exploration, I can leave two for ya tonight:
http://www.space.com/
http://www.spacex.com/

Just remember, we're about to embark on a golden age of space travel. It was a mere 54 years ago that the first man left Earth and entered what we deem the start of space. Now, we have probes exploring the edges of our solar system, a small group of people living in a laboratory in the sky, two rovers traversing the inhospitable landscape of a red-barren world, and every day we're stepping closer and closer to that dream of adventure into the final frontier. We'll get there, one way or another.

Im just worried in my current position, I wont be one of those people who get to go. To get where they're going, you'd have to achieve grade A standards in kindergarten all the way up to Harvard or Duke, something I lack entirely. And honestly im thinking of launching myself into space when I die im that infatuated by it. I'm going to need a lot of retirement fund though.
Thanks for the links.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:41:42 AM by Alkatjo »

could you imagine being the first group of pioneers to mars

think of that scale

you're starting a separate civilization - its like the western world but to so much larger

the space race was basically an argument between the united states and the soviets on who had the biggest richard missile

i say we go to war with russia and flee to like, i dunno, europa or something :cookieMonster:

To get where they're going, you'd have to achieve grade A standards in kindergarten all the way up to Harvard or Duke, something I lack entirely.
Untrue. If you want a shot at Harvard, you should aim for a 4.0 GPA throughout high school and a SAT score above like 2200. At that point, it's just a crap shoot for everyone lol.

There's no colleges that look at grades from before high school, and many of them won't even count any accomplishments before your freshman year.

Damn capitalists too greedy with their money to fund probable failures in the name of adventure and exploration.
Viva la space!

meanwhile i'm just waiting for the militarization of space so they are forced to spend toward space based technologies...

In 2026 we're supposed to be on the lookout for a potentially huge asteroid that might collide with earth. Big enough to wipe a good chunk of country out, or causing total human extinction. That's what scares me, that we don't take a moment and just ask our selves "what if". WHAT IF! WE TRIED, DEVOTED OUR TIME AND MONEY INTO SOMETHING IMPOSSIBLE, AND IT SO HAPPENS TO WORK? NO ONE SEEMS TO GET THAT, THROUGHOUT OUR EVOLUTION, WE WERE, NO, WE STILL ARE PIONEERS, LOOKING FOR NEW WAYS TO EXPLORE.

GET BIG LASER PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM

Otherwise, I have 11 years to complete my bucket list. It's doable.

technically, nuke-based space ships have been plausible since the 60's

I could pretty much just quote the OP and it would be an accurate description of how I feel.

Space travel is going to be sick

I could pretty much just quote the OP and it would be an accurate description of how I feel.