Poll

period race

Author Topic: ABS FIESTA REDUX  (Read 1232203 times)

"Sir, I've been working with the-- yes, sentient-- robot for about six months now. I've yet to have any issues with him and I haven't received any complaints from the rest of the maintenance crew regarding him. When he's working with us, he does exactly as he's told and is always glad to help us, even if it's just fetching tools. On our previous base, he was given the privilege of freely roaming on base and was usually tasked with walking the dogs of one of the Mjolnir pilots."

"The work is good for him. He hates being idle. And without the dogs to walk, he'll likely stay close to me, meaning I'll be able to keep an eye on him. I have no reason to think that he would suddenly start trying to be disruptive intentionally, and I know that he probably won't accidentally try to mess anything up. Even if he does, like I said earlier, he'll be close to me most of the time, so I'll be there to stop him."

"He is, however, wary of humans." She quickly realizes that this might be taken the wrong way and continues. "He doesn't hate people or anything like that, though. He'll probably try to stay out of the way of everyone that he isn't familiar with because he doesn't want to upset anyone or end up hurt by anyone."

Cualli shifts slightly in her chair. "All of that being said, you can trust him onboard your carrier, sir."

"Sir, I've been working with the-- yes, sentient-- robot for about six months now. I've yet to have any issues with him and I haven't received any complaints from the rest of the maintenance crew regarding him. When he's working with us, he does exactly as he's told and is always glad to help us, even if it's just fetching tools. On our previous base, he was given the privilege of freely roaming on base and was usually tasked with walking the dogs of one of the Mjolnir pilots."

"The work is good for him. He hates being idle. And without the dogs to walk, he'll likely stay close to me, meaning I'll be able to keep an eye on him. I have no reason to think that he would suddenly start trying to be disruptive intentionally, and I know that he probably won't accidentally try to mess anything up. Even if he does, like I said earlier, he'll be close to me most of the time, so I'll be there to stop him."

"He is, however, wary of humans." She quickly realizes that this might be taken the wrong way and continues. "He doesn't hate people or anything like that, though. He'll probably try to stay out of the way of everyone that he isn't familiar with because he doesn't want to upset anyone or end up hurt by anyone."

Cualli shifts slightly in her chair. "All of that being said, you can trust him onboard your carrier, sir."

Marshal Lawniczak leans back in his chair and twirls a pen in his fingers as he contemplates what you said. After a few seconds of silence, he sits up straight and sets the pen down.
: Alright, we'll take the robot with us so long as it remains stable and under control. I don't know what you've entrusted it with in the past but on my ship I don't want it doing anything without human supervision. If it ever starts acting out of line, we're shutting it down. Understood?

Cualli nods. "Completely, sir."

Cualli stands, salutes, and exits the room. She breathes a quiet sigh of relief once the door to the Vice Marshal's office is shut.

She seeks out Elu and finds him near the crew quarters. "I've got some news for you," she says as she approaches him.

Cualli stands, salutes, and exits the room. She breathes a quiet sigh of relief once the door to the Vice Marshal's office is shut.

She seeks out Elu and finds him near the crew quarters. "I've got some news for you," she says as she approaches him.
: What is it?

: What is it?
"The good news is that they've agreed to let you accompany us. But the... not-so-good news-- depending on how you feel about it-- is that everything you do has to be supervised. You'll be expected to stay near me at all times, and if you ever step slightly out of line, they'll shut you down."

Cualli sighs. "Look-- I know I can trust you. And I know you won't do anything to... 'disrupt operations,' as the Marshal called it. But the carrier crew doesn't know you and has never seen anything like you. They're going to be suspicious and some will probably be afraid of you." She rests a hand on his shoulder. "So just be careful and stick by me."

"The good news is that they've agreed to let you accompany us. But the... not-so-good news-- depending on how you feel about it-- is that everything you do has to be supervised. You'll be expected to stay near me at all times, and if you ever step slightly out of line, they'll shut you down."

Cualli sighs. "Look-- I know I can trust you. And I know you won't do anything to... 'disrupt operations,' as the Marshal called it. But the carrier crew doesn't know you and has never seen anything like you. They're going to be suspicious and some will probably be afraid of you." She rests a hand on his shoulder. "So just be careful and stick by me."
Elu puts up an OK sign.

"Are you excited? It'll be a whole new environment." She pauses. "Well, maybe not so much for you, but... for me, at least."

"Are you excited? It'll be a whole new environment." She pauses. "Well, maybe not so much for you, but... for me, at least."
: Not really, no. Are you?

"It doesn't really seem like the... ideal place. It's cramped, and the crew quarters are kind of terrible..." Cualli sighs. "Arkhip and the rest of the pilots got the better end of the deal."

She leans back against the wall and stares up at the ceiling. "He'll probably end up being too busy to visit much with me. And we can't go drinking, either."

"It doesn't really seem like the... ideal place. It's cramped, and the crew quarters are kind of terrible..." Cualli sighs. "Arkhip and the rest of the pilots got the better end of the deal."

She leans back against the wall and stares up at the ceiling. "He'll probably end up being too busy to visit much with me. And we can't go drinking, either."
Elu listens patiently to Cualli's grievances about the carrier for as long as she needs to vent.

Then, everyone goes to sleep and the next twelve to fourteen hours fly by. The Tordenskjold's entire complement, easily at least a thousand personnel including the airborne infantry, assemble in the hangar and are arranged in formation for a photo op before the procedure of actually boarding the vessel begins. Once everyone is present and accounted for on board (a process which ends up taking over an hour) everyone is ordered to go to their designated takeoff stations (in the pilots' case, the common room; in Cualli's, the crew quarters) and strap in. Though your stations are separated from the engine blocks by 80 meters and who knows how many walls, the dull rumbling proves to be inescapable. Lacking any windows, all you can do is sit tight and feel it out as the carrier taxis out onto the runway.
After twenty minutes of sitting tight, Virvel starts to get even more irritable than usual, and her mood is soured even further as the muffled roar of the engines grows to worrying levels. Frisk and Eremit start to lose their composure as well once the carrier begins gaining speed down the runway and all sorts of rattling, shaking, and creaking join in. Of the non-Mjolnir pilots present, only Morten appears to be enjoying the current situation (and where she is, Cualli ends up seeing at least three different people need to use a barf bag). Soon you feel gravity pulling you sideways towards the back of the ship, and the rattling and shaking stops. The wheels have left the ground and the carrier is now airborne. Down in Cualli's neck of the woods the crew start cheering.

Gus leans back in his seat as far as the restraints will allow him, hands cupped behind his head. He is quite content, and regards Djuriskas with a bemused expression as the carrier hurtles down the runway.

Cualli, being one more accustomed to staying on a ground that doesn't rattle and shake all that often, looks a bit sick and more than a bit nervous about the noise. Although she manages to keep herself from throwing up, she only offers a slight smile in response to the cheering going on around her.

As the Tordenskjold reaches to the heavens, Hilbert thinks about this new carrier he will live and deploy from for Gods know how long. What excites him more, however, is the thought of a new plane he requisitioned - the Tornado. To keep him preoccupied for the duration of ascent, he grabbed the manual before take-off, and now continues reading it.