ABS FIESTA REDUX

Poll

period race

Author Topic: ABS FIESTA REDUX  (Read 1232212 times)

Markus fires an aimed laser shot at Ellie, punching the burners to close in.

Markus fires an aimed laser shot at Ellie, punching the burners to close in.
LCP accuracy 50
Experience provides bonus of 2
Aim provides bonus of 10
Missile Range provides penalty of 20
Test taken at 42
Roll: 45 - miss
Result: miss

The shots land dangerously close to Ellie, but don't make contact.

Ellie flips around and fires a half-aimed shot at the Fenrir.
Wyvern's base EV 100
Experience provides bonus of 1
Test taken at 101
Roll: 71

Ellie feels her blood rush to her legs as she puts the Wyvern through a half-kulbit and takes aim while inverted.
LCB accuracy 55
Experience provides bonus of 1
Aim provides bonus of 10
Test taken at 66
Roll: 65 - success
Result: 1 hit to Fuselage

She lands the final hit on Scorch, "destroying" the Fenrir before rolling upright.

The Kintharian practically jumps out of her seat and pumps her fist.
: [Nice!]

Ellie brings the Wyvern back upright and heads back to the carrier. She pulls off the helmet and wipes her forehead of sweat.

"Props to the maintenance crew, she's flying pretty well today."

The Mjolnir pilot puts the helmet back on.

"Oh Scorch, I probably would've been in bigger trouble if you took an LCB with you, it's much easier to aim with these. It might be a good idea to use one if you decide to take the Fenrir out for a mission."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:06:25 PM by Operator¹ »

Ash returns his hands to his pockets and sighs in defeat. He wordlessly draws his wallet, plucks a freshly minted $50 bill from its lining and hands it to his superior without so much as a glance.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:15:51 PM by NoZoner »

"[Good doing business with you,]" Jaakko says to Ash, taking his money.

"[Likewise,]" Ash responds flatly to hide the full extent of his saltiness. He blinks. "You speak Mercanan?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:44:01 AM by NoZoner »

Markus sighs in frustration, and begins following Ellie back to the carrier. He takes off the helmet for a moment and runs his and through his hair.

"Yeah, I suppose I could have done better, especially in utilizing the cloak. Regardless, I think that Wyvern is damn hard to beat in a 1-on-1 fight given its supermaneuverability."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:36:16 PM by Gojira »

"[I do.]" Jaakko enunciates, "[I learned it in college. My degree is in aerospace, which the Mercanans are very good at, so I learned their language.]"

"[Nice. Are you planning on working in Mercana after the war is over?]," Ash asks out of sincere curiosity.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:28:49 PM by NoZoner »

"[I don't know. Mercana kind of has a better political climate but the weather is too hot, and considering the number of air-ships we've lost I might find employment building them. But on the other hand Mercana has a good space program. It depends,]"

Ash nods along, taking a moment to digest Jaakko's response, "[Yeah, that's a tough choice. I really wanted to move back to Mercana and work as a pilot there, but the living expenses in the big cities are so high I'd probably have a hard time just breaking even]," he frets, thinking about his adoptive parents, "[You could probably do it though. If you can land an engineering position at AAC or even with a defense contractor, you'd be set. I'd give it a shot if I were you.]"

"Well, I guess that's that," Ash decides after looking at his watch, "You better hold onto that fifty, Major, 'cos the next time we raise the stakes, I'm taking my money back. I'll see you down at the bunks," he finishes with a roostery grin and casually walks out of the lounge.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:27:06 PM by NoZoner »

True to his word, Tarkirov lets you have the rest of the day off. But early in the next morning, you're back on the clock for a briefing.
Briefing Music

: Aesthia has been on the defensive for far too long. Koronovostok, Araknes, Nordennia, Moratov, Svirask, more cities than any of us will likely visit in our lives have been bombed or occupied by Gothic invaders. It's finally time to pay them back in kind. Our aerial fleet stands ready to mobilize and annihilate the Gothic capital city of Zentragothorum, located just off the tip of the Austerran peninsula, but first we must deal with the defensive emplacements they have prepared.

: The Imperium possesses eleven strategic air defense towers, each one utilizing a more powerful version of the shock cannon you encountered on the Octarius years ago, capable of firing on targets over a thousand kilometers away. Small craft are in little danger of such attacks, but mass bomber formations and our own airships are at grave risk. Fortunately, we only need to put two of these towers out of action to clear the way for an attack on the Gothic capital. The Mercanans will be assisting us in this operation, deploying a force to knock out the tower to the south as well as providing us with spaceborne assistance when we attack the northern tower.

: You will split into two main groups. One will engage the tower at its base, while the other will destroy the reflecting emplacement thirty-seven kilometers overhead. In order to accomplish the latter objective, you must take one of our Foxbats or Corsairs. The technicians down on the hangar deck have been working tirelessly to install the new engines on these planes to allow them to operate at such extreme altitude.

: Those of you taking this mission, your goal is simple. Destroy the levitation plates on the mirror emplacement, removing the tower's ability to fire over the horizon. So long as you succeed here, even if the surface attack fails, we will have a narrow corridor through which to navigate our fleet. A squadron of Mercanan XF-161 Starvipers will be joining the operation to protect you against Imperial high-altitude drones and fighters.

: The mission targeting the base of the tower will also be a two pronged attack. The first component will neutralize ground and air-based anti-air defenses around the base of the tower, clearing the way for the second component.

: Two Shikra gunships, modified with infantry drop pods will deploy commando teams outside the ancillary control silo here. Once they are on the ground, your mission is to provide close air support and ensure that they are able to reach the building and that nobody goes in after them.

: If the intelligence supplied to us by the KZG is accurate, they will be able to force an overheat drill from that building, powering down the cannon and exposing its massive heat sinks. Destroy all four of them, and I am told you will be able to strike the primary focusing array at the top of the tower, normally hidden inside.

: If both attack groups are able to completely neutralize their respective towers, we will be able to move our fleet all the way to Zentragothorum and begin our attack before they are able to recall their slow-moving airships to defend it. I won't lie to you. This will probably be the most dangerous sortie you each of you have ever made. But success here will pave the way for us to bring an end to the war without the Goths getting to dictate terms.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:54:28 AM by Qwepir »

The briefing ends with nobody asking questions. Tarkirov stops Bell as she walks past him towards the exit by holding a flight helmet out in front of her path.
: You'll be needing this.

Bell takes the helmet, saluting the marshal.

: This operation is that important, huh. Well, I hope I don't bleed out from the dogfighting.

This operation is that important, huh. Well, I hope I don't bleed out from the dogfighting.
: If you are worried about pulling too many Gs, I recommend you operate one of the gunships.