Author Topic: Solidworks for modeling?  (Read 5957 times)

I was wondering if its possible to use the program Solidworks to model things in blockland?

So long as you can export it into Blender and/or Milkshape if you wish to make something that requires a .dts, if you're just wanting to make a brick with the .obj to .blb just make sure you don't have any n-gons, rectangles and triangles only.

So long as you can export it into Blender and/or Milkshape if you wish to make something that requires a .dts, if you're just wanting to make a brick with the .obj to .blb just make sure you don't have any n-gons, rectangles and triangles only.

Okay thank you

I have only seen solidworks used in an industrial setting,  but but id be pretty interested in seeing a solidworks blockland model.

My dad is a freaking solidworks expert, I'm sure I can ask him anything you need to know.

I am now going to model all of my blockland addons with Catia and gsd, a software used primarily for highly advanced aerodynamic systems.

I have only seen solidworks used in an industrial setting,  but but id be pretty interested in seeing a solidworks blockland model.

My dad is a freaking solidworks expert, I'm sure I can ask him anything you need to know.

Well it seems blockland uses dts files, so ask if there is a possibility to change solidworks files to a dts file.

I am now going to model all of my blockland addons with Catia and gsd, a software used primarily for highly advanced aerodynamic systems.

It looks cool, but only thing is I only know how to use solidworks well my teacher taught it to me, that's why i'm not trying to use any of the other programs like Blender, 3DS max, and etc.

So long as you can export it into Blender and/or Milkshape if you wish to make something that requires a .dts
Thus far these are the only two that I know of that can export .dts

Thus far these are the only two that I know of that can export .dts

Aw alright then, well thank you though.

It looks cool, but only thing is I only know how to use solidworks well my teacher taught it to me, that's why i'm not trying to use any of the other programs like Blender, 3DS max, and etc.
Why did your teacher teach you Solidworks anyway? Blender (and 3DS Max) are by far more commonly used. Anyway, you can probably get a Solidworks file to a Blender file to a DTS somehow, but in general the more export/import steps you do the more messed up stuff you'll see. Perfect imports are generally pretty hard to come by. If it becomes a problem, just learn Blender - it's a really simple program, actually. At least post-2.5; I can't loving stand 2.4, which unfortunately is the newest DTS exporter. I'm not quite sure why someone with Python knowledge hasn't ported it yet, but you can usually export from post-2.5 to pre-2.5, as long as you don't use animations.

Okay, well I guess ill just try and learn how to use blender, any good starter tutorials?

You can easily find a plethora of tutorials using Google. Pick a line of some and you'll learn a lot, so long as your teacher is 12.