Author Topic: I am the trendy McJobless, pusillanimous individual slayer and forum Drunk starfish. AMA.  (Read 4690 times)

When do you think that you'll use your "McJobless" account again?

When do you think that you'll use your "McJobless" account again?
If this account gets banned, or if I lose my job. Technically I should be using it now since we don't formalise the contract until Friday, but I can't be arsed to log out.

what game do you hate more than FNaF? please say why in detail

what game do you hate more than FNaF? please say why in detail
The LEGO Movie Video Game. My review of it still stands.

The last few paragraphs:

What Traveler's Tales do probably isn't Game Development. I think they may actually be butchers who just discovered how to use a computer. The amount of story they chopped up, jokes they ruined and the clearest and saddest irony of how The LEGO Movie Videogame goes completely against the morals and messages of The LEGO Movie, to the point they actually cut out the sequences in the movie that talk about those morals and messages is just pure disgusting.

I'm going to wrap up here without even mentioning the other plethora of problems, because the longer I stay here to write the sicker I get. This game is a success. It's on a level of success far higher than Bioshock or Spec Ops: The Line. What it deconstructs is the art of lazy game making. It shows us, up front and center the grim reality of what the industry has become, and gives the player a chance to come to their senses and realise their mistake.

Except, that was all unintentional.

This is clearly the worst game I've played. Unlike Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing or WarZ, this wasn't made by people who were technically and theoretically incompetent. TT Games are responsible for my favourite Crash Bandicoot game of all time. This isn't due to a lack of good source material or assets, since The LEGO Group would have given them everything they needed, and the core message and ideas of the Movie were some of the strongest I've seen in a long while. What we have here is a game that blindly lies to your face; it shows you an experience that looks fun, but lacks any kind of subtance, and yet assumes it can stand amongst the greats. It abuses the LEGO logo, using that to ride the waves of success, without realising the deadly whirlpool of boredom that it's surfing over.

The recent trend for big developers is to stop being creative and be safe, and do things as fast possible, over trying to do things to the credit of the idea (i.e. giving the original idea the respect it deserves). This game encapsulates everything wrong with that trend. The saddest thing is that you can tell people tried, but for whatever reason, the management of this game was lacking, and every fault in this product can be squarely blamed on the Creative Director. This game, and all TT Games as of recent seem to be stuck in the same trend as many, MANY developments. Instead of studying why a mechanic works, they look at how it works, and try to copy it without realising what made the mechanic fun in the first place. That's become extremely evident here.

Do not buy this game. If you really must, watch videos on YouTube. Watch the Movie and then move on with your lives, because this is one experience you do not need to have.

To expand on that first paragraph; The LEGO Movie Video Game is linear as all hell, and you are frequently forced to play the game exactly as the developers intended/as the instructions say you need to. The LEGO Movie is supposed to promote the message of playing with LEGO in your own way, being as creative as possible and sharing the experience with others.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:01:57 PM by McJob »

are all movie tie-in games trash?

are all movie tie-in games trash?
I don't think so, but I honestly can't name any positive examples (except for maybe the Spiderman 2 game, but unfortunately I haven't played it to judge for myself).

The problem is that movie directors don't know what goes into making games fun, and so they commonly become as controlling as they would on the movie set. Movie tie-in-games also get far less development time, money and other resources to work with than a proper AAA game.

It's especially worse when they make a movie of a game.

Like the Max Payne movie that got almost everything wrong.

I don't think so, but I honestly can't name any positive examples (except for maybe the Spiderman 2 game, but unfortunately I haven't played it to judge for myself).

The problem is that movie directors don't know what goes into making games fun, and so they commonly become as controlling as they would on the movie set. Movie tie-in-games also get far less development time, money and other resources to work with than a proper AAA game.
I always thought the involvement of the film production firm in tie-in game development was pretty minimal. Aren't most of the issues funding & deadline related?

also Spider-Man 2 forgetin rules...

I always thought the involvement of the film production firm in tie-in game development was pretty minimal. Aren't most of the issues funding & deadline related?
Mostly, but (this is only from articles I've read on websites and in game design magazines) what I've heard is that the film's production crew and sometimes their directors/script writers want to maintain the same storyline for the tie-in game or want to maintain control over the project to make sure it has the same "thematic" feel as the movie.

I can't recall the specific example I knew about, but there was one tie-in-game that was loving awful because the producers of the movie kept complaining to the game developers that their fun mechanics were over-taking the story, and that they were taking the story in a direction that was "unprecedented".

What do you think of Unity 5?

why does fnaf piss you off so much, i mean i hate it, but i don't understand your reasoning.

Are you related to anyone who is a veteran of the Emu war?

What do you think of Unity 5?
Going to absolutely confirm that this is my own personal opinion so I don't get Unity users jumping in on me.

A good engine, but far more difficult to use and doesn't have as many of the life-saving and useful tools that Unreal 4 has. Unreal 4 also has far less need for the marketplace, since it already contains everything you need to make weather systems, AI and blah blah. In Unity, all that needs to be coded from scratch.

Unfortunately, for the next 2 terms we're making a game in Unity 3/4, and I'm a designer with only bare-bones programming knowledge (and the other people I'm working with are 3 animators and a game designer with 0 programming experience). I'm loving stuffting myself at the idea that I'm going to be the only person who will be coding the game, and that I'll have to code entire systems. I really don't understand how people say "Unity is easier", because it's not...

why does fnaf piss you off so much, i mean i hate it, but i don't understand your reasoning.
The community, mostly. The game itself I find too simplistic, not scary at all, dull and overall just a boring experience. I don't think it deserves multiple commercially-successful sequels in such a short period.

Are you related to anyone who is a veteran of the Emu war?
Sad to say, but unfortunately not :/ The Emu War took place far away from where my relatives on both sides of the family hail from.

It's especially worse when they make a movie of a game.

Like the Max Payne movie that got almost everything wrong.

shining example ^