Calculating frequencies

Author Topic: Calculating frequencies  (Read 964 times)

Hi, I don't have access to my schoolboard so I can't check if I'm doing this homework correctly, so I'm going to ask the forum for help with this.

So correct me if I'm doing this wrongly, and tell me if I'm doing it properly:

I've got an oscilloscope, it has an 8x8 grid of divisions, each division is 0.02 ms (0.00002 s). It has 4 vibrations on it.
I have to precisely calculate the frequency of the noise that is being portrayed on the oscilloscope.
What I did was this:

Vibrations  200 000 
Time  0.00002  0.000005 

To explain this table, I want to calculate the time of one vibration first, because it's nice to know, so to calculate that, you're going to write:

So to get 1 second from 4, you obviously do : 4, and as you know, what you do on one side of the table, you also do in the other. So now we know that 1 vibration is made every 0.000005 seconds. But we are going for the frequency, which is how many vibrations are made in 1 second. This is the next step:

We calculate how many times 0.00002 seconds can fit into 1 second. Which is 50 000 times. Again, what we do on one side we do on the other, so 4 x 50 000, which is 200 000. So the f would be 200 000 Hz.

However, 200 000 Hz is awfully high, and it makes me think my answer is unrealistic because a flaw in my calculations, which is why I'm asking this question. This may not seem like the proper forum to ask it on, but I don't visit any other, and I think it'd be a fun experiment. So, whats up? Is my exam question just batstuff insane, or are my calculations wrong?

200,000 Hz isn't too high. Most oscilloscopes I have used have MHz capabilities.

You seem to be doing this correctly. Do you have a picture of the problem we can look at to make sure you are interpreting it correctly?

You seem to be doing it correctly, and it's ok for your answer to be that high considering each division is 0.02 ms in size. It's probably better to write your answer as 200KHz

My calculation also complies to yours so it's most probably correct:
if every 0.02 ms there are 4 oscillations, every 1 oscillation 0.005 ms go by

frequency=1/period

therefore
f = 1/0.000005 = 200KHz
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:55:22 AM by General »

You could even just do 4 / 0.00002 = 200,000 but yes, as far as I can tell you're correct

You seem to be doing it correctly, and it's ok for your answer to be that high considering each division is 0.02 ms in size. It's probably better to write your answer as 200KHz

My calculation also complies to yours so it's most probably correct:
if every 0.02 ms there are 4 oscillations, every 1 oscillation 0.005 ms go by

frequency=1/period

therefore
f = 1/0.000005 = 200KHz
As trivial as it seems, 200 kHz, not 200 KHz.

As trivial as it seems, 200 kHz, not 200 KHz.
I don't believe there's another prefix such as m or M would have for milli or mega

I don't believe there's another prefix such as m or M would have for milli or mega
And? The prefix is supposed to be k. That's really all there is to it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure what I can say on how I did on the final exam. The frequency shenanigans went well but I wasn't prepared to calculate horizontal components, gravity, and generally calculate with Newton.