Which is the best?

Unreal Engine 4
31 (81.6%)
Unity 5
6 (15.8%)
Other (please tell on this topic)
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 or Unity 5?  (Read 2687 times)

Unreal to me is like offering somebody to spectate a football game and only showing them 1 second of each goal that was scored
Unity (as somebody who's /never/ tried it or looked into it much) seems unnecessary, bloated and like something I want to compare to Java on levels of being Java-y in terms of not-being-a-programming-language-or-using-Java-but-being-a-thing
I don't know anything about Source at all but I'd love to learn it
Game Maker is crazy slow and I'm glad I forgot how to use GML
Polycode will never be done
Torque 3D still uses TorqueScript
LOVE is amazing
Blender Game Engine is like Unreal Engine
I don't know anything about CryEngine - it's a thing that exists
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:03:20 PM by portify »

How is unity bloated?

How is unity bloated?

Not necessarily in the strictest sense, nor that I would know (never even seen the development environment), that's just what it seems like from everything I've seen that uses it and everything I've heard about it from many different places

I don't know anything about CryEngine - it's a thing that exists
Id refrain form using CryEngine if the game becomes popular,its the same engine that made sonic boom on Wii U

And Unreal Engine 4 unless you have something stronger than a Titan X your computer will EXPLODE.

That said i recommend you try engines and see if they stick to the wall,also you can wait for source 2.

That said i recommend you try engines and see if they stick to the wall,also you can wait for source 2.

Why would you wait for an unreleased product from a company with a history of not releasing products they announce?

Id refrain form using CryEngine if the game becomes popular,its the same engine that made sonic boom on Wii U
to be fair being bad at making games isn't normally the fault of the engine

And Unreal Engine 4 unless you have something stronger than a Titan X your computer will EXPLODE.
except not

Actually, the reason Unreal 4 games require higher performance is because the people who use Unreal have the budget, people and time to make more detailed graphics, and unlike Unity, Unreal has the capability to actually handle the high level of polys AAA devs tend to throw at it.

Unity games are generally developed by people with smaller budgets, people who don't really care for adding polish to their stuffty simulator games, and people who find that Unity can't exactly handle high-levels of detail since it's not optimised for those kinds of operations.

EDIT: Okay, so maybe the specs are a little higher, but that doesn't null and void my point. You can very well get a game built in Unreal that runs much smoother than it does in Unity. It really depends on the content, and how you've programmed your games. Throwing a lot of redundant or slow-loading operations in will of course make your game run like stuff regardless of engine.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:47:01 AM by McJob »